• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac hard to start

plance1

Reaction score
City, State
cincy ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
This truck has been completely reliable, it has 100,000 miles on it. Normally my wife drives it. For the first time in a while, I got into it and started it. It turned over for a few seconds which I thought was highly unusual. When I asked my wife about it she said, "oh yeah, its been doing that lately"!!!

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know, Im thinking that or fuel filter

Turn the key to on without engauging the starter then off. Then see if it starts "normally". If it does or starts quicker check the fuel pressure regulator. I would also do the plugs as mention before

thanks, I read another post about a fuel pump problem on these trucks... I also read about a vacuum leak in one of the elbows on the rubber hoses.

Probably just needs a tune up. Replacing the fuel filter should be a part of that.

dumb questions, where is the fuel filter located? where is the fuel pump located? if I had someone else do the work, how much would I pay for new plugs? how much for a fuel filter? how much for a new fuel pump?

had a new filter installed, along with new plugs, no change, still hard to start, I'm thinking vacuum leak now...

Test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Also run some seafoam through it. How to for the seafoam in the link in my sig.

Don't pay someone to do these simple projects, you'll spend sooo much money that it's not funny. Even if you're not mecehanically enclined, you can do these things with basic tools.

There's so many step-by step project threads on here and the sprttrac site there's no reason to waste the money.

Here's a picture of the PCV Elbow, you can get this from the dealer for around $30 and it can be installed in less then a minute.

picture.php

The fuel filter is located along the inside of the framerail on the driverside under the driverside door. Easy to replace this too. Just need this tool to release the retaining clips... $6 at parts store.

picture.php

Back