Peeling Trim A-Pillar

jfbk

Reaction score
City, State
St. John, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT Silver
A Pillar Sticker Bubble????

Bought my Explorer over a week ago. I noticed on the driver side door, which meets the A pillar (parallel with), a air bubble half way up. I tried to use my nail and a credit card to push the air bubble to the edge and also to smooth it out, but its not working. Has anyone else had this issue? Obviously that part of the door is covered with a black sticker, (at least thats the color on mine) which I find unbelieable and quite cheap. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it to the dealer and ask for it to be fixed. Or, poke it with a pin and use a card to push the air out. I'd go the dealer route though. It's common to use decals like that, even teh 2nd gen used them between the doors to block color from showing through.

i had that problem, dealer replaced it no questions asked

Take it to the dealer and ask for it to be fixed. Or, poke it with a pin and use a card to push the air out. I'd go the dealer route though. It's common to use decals like that, even the 2nd gen used them between the doors to block color from showing through.

What's the importance of doing this or is it purely cosmetic?

Just cospetic- the gaps on the b-pillar between the black trim on the doors would show body color through from the skeleton. They layed the tape there to make it appear uniformly black.

6683557_2b.jpg

3n63m33p55Y65V35P5b3r33c39cb58b561e9f.jpg

Any suggestions on the remedy for this? I have seen this problem mentioned here and there but not sure how widespread. The black decal on the A-Trim is lifting off where the mirror meets decal on both sides.

https://picasaweb.google.com/empesario/Explorer?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP2my9WV5sH0Aw&feat=directlink
Explorer

Three months old --> this shouldn't be happening. anyone else experiencing this?

Same with plastic moulding around the windows lifting up. Econobox's have a nicer cleaner look to the plastic seals around the windows.

Mine came from the factory that way. With it peeling off and bubbles, i took it to my local dealer, and they sent it out to a body shop to be replaced. No issues since, no problems getting it fixed.

Was just washing the Ex and noticed mine has the same issue...

So the blacked a pillar is just a sticker?

Quality is Job 1

Any suggestions on the remedy for this?

Yeah. The dealership. 3 month old vehicle? Take them this page as well. Heck, look for a public relations link or contact on the Ford corp website, etc and pass it along to them. We want, just like they do, for it to be "Quality is Job 1", right?

You can try this page at the Ford Corp site or other ways here.

It's one thing that I believe we as a large group don't do - use a common voice.

:exp: If we can get a little more organized, we could affect the service we receive.

MCSteven

Just took a look and mine is doing the same exact thing, what a joke with Ford quality.

Just took a look and mine is doing the same exact thing, what a joke with Ford quality.

To be fair, it is the first year for the vehicle, and there WILL be things like this to work out; it's only "a joke" if Ford doesn't make it right. I'm sure they will.

What makes this even worse, I decided to take a look at the passenger side...and I'm not joking here....there is no black sticker applied to the passenger side door. I thought I was seeing things. I went back to the driver side and there is the black sticker peeling and on the passenger side...no peeling because it isn't there. I actually like the way it looks without, I might just peel it off!

Does anyone else have this issue, one side has it, the other doesn't?

Not the first year, though...

To be fair, it is the first year for the vehicle, and there WILL be things like this to work out; it's only "a joke" if Ford doesn't make it right. I'm sure they will.

It's not the first year for the vehicle, though. It might be the first year for this iteration of it, but even so, we're not talking about a new technology here. We're not talking about a new intake design or a first year for the drivetrain. We are discussing the application of a sticker and or the finish for the car. I can't really see any change in the technology for this. It would appear that they or their supplier used a material or glue that has become defective or Ford's process for applying it is faulty.

As noted, the dealer has to be informed and asked what they will do to rectify the issue. If they can't/won't fix it to our satisfaction, we need to take it to FOMOCO. :salute:

What makes this even worse, I decided to take a look at the passenger side...and I'm not joking here....there is no black sticker applied to the passenger side door. I thought I was seeing things. I went back to the driver side and there is the black sticker peeling and on the passenger side...no peeling because it isn't there. I actually like the way it looks without, I might just peel it off!

Does anyone else have this issue, one side has it, the other doesn't?
I wouldn’t want to find an issue like this on my new Explorer either jrosner50 and lexrid. Like calb and mcsteven said, I would like to help make this right. I can escalate your concern if you send me a private message including your VIN, approximate mileage, dealer name, and contact info.

Cory

So...............is the blacked out A-Pillar just accomplished by applying a black sticker and not actually painted black?

My A-Pillar - Replaced

Mine was a little loose when I received the Limited. It flew off the car, last month, at about 70 mph on I-10. No way to stop - so just drove on.

Took it to the dealer - he told me I was the fourth of the day.

Ordered the parts but forgot the clips. Make sure they order both.

Now the dealer keeps these two parts in stock. Easy change out - less then 15 minutes. Old one had microscratches, new one is nice and tight on the vechicle. Looks better than the orginal.

Mine was a little loose when I received the Limited. It flew off the car, last month, at about 70 mph on I-10. No way to stop - so just drove on.

Took it to the dealer - he told me I was the fourth of the day.

Ordered the parts but forgot the clips. Make sure they order both.

Now the dealer keeps these two parts in stock. Easy change out - less then 15 minutes. Old one had microscratches, new one is nice and tight on the vechicle. Looks better than the orginal.
I’m glad you got that replaced and taken care of Oakwhite. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like help with in the future!

Cory

Back