A/C Fix - Dealer Comment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Fix - Dealer Comment

03ExploKRV

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V6
I'd like to run this one by everyone here to see if you all think this is on the level.

2003 Explorer XLT V6 4x4. A/C was blowing cold a few weeks ago out the passenger side vents only. Drivers side vents were blowing hot air. A/C unit stopped blowing cold air all together recently. The compressor was cycling on and off about every ten seconds or so but wasn't cold.

Took to dealer today as I have a month remaining on warranty and was told when the R134 level gets low enough in the system that this is what causes the air to blow cold out of one set of vents and not the other. Not a blend door problem, not a recirculation door problem, a refrigerant level problem.

Dealer changed out the condensor today ("green" stuff leaking from it???) evacuated and recharged the system. Everything blowing cold now.

Does anyone agree with the R134 level being low causing one side of the truck to blow cold air while the other blows hot? I was ready to tear down the glove box and check on the recirculating door being off.

Yes on 2002 up explorer it is common. Low refrigerant can cause cold on pass side and warm on driver side or vice versa.

Yes, I will concur to that. If you have the rear AC, it will start to show there first, then move to the passenger side.

Back