• Register Today It's free!

Intake "Gurgling" Sound?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Hello - thanks for looking in - I've got an 02 V8 that runs and sounds fine but sometimes makes a "gurgling" sound that seems to be coming from inside intake hose. It can be idling or running ok and then will begin to sound like it's wanting to shut off and then will go back to correct idle. Also when driving it will lose some power as I can hear the same sound. I've checked vacuum lines, air filter, inside intake hose, cleaned throttle body, replaced MAF, and now going to change plugs.......any other ideas to try? Thanks -- No check engine light but did have a pending code of IAT which was the reason I replaced MAF but no luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While changing plugs -- found #4 plug covered in rust -- water is obviously getting to that plug -- how do you repair that?

Any ideas? Finished changing plugs w/ no help to sound - the rust was just on top of plug. Can't figure out what is causing the engine to run poorly one minute and not the next? The sound is like the intake is clogged up but of course I've checked that. A mechanic friend couldn't find anything either -- he suggested maybe computer? Thanks for any suggestions

How old, and in what condition are your plug wires? Maybe it's arcing to the block. Do you think there is something causing the gurgling sound, which is causing the poor performance? Or the gurgling sound is just what it sounds like when it's about to shut off?

Thanks for the help -- It's a V8 so no wires but has coils intead. I'm thinking the noise is just the result of some sensor not working properly therefore causing the engine to stumble -- thanks Rocco for the link -- it does resemble the sound of Darth Vader?! I'll try the IAC and see what happens.

Please let "us" know how it works out. Feedback helps others.

It was the IAC -- for some reason no code was being sent but replaced the IAC and all "sounds" right again. Thanks for the help!

Back