2000 ford explorer cutting out and dieing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer cutting out and dieing

pboyle87

Reaction score
City, State
saint joseph ,mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4.0 v6 vin e soh
i have a 2000 ford explorer 4.0 v6 ohv i can drive it on the highway and some places in town but it wants to cut out and sometimes die and it keeps showing 2 codes the same ones over and over again bank 1 and 2 co2 senors i have replaced them 3 different times some one please help me out also someone told me that the coilpacks could do that but i dont want to put anything on that aint needed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are the codes exactly?the numbers please .this will help us help you.

how many miles on this vehicle?

p1701 and p1704 on obd2 and 162000 but been tooking care of by my parents and it has alot of new parts someone also said that it could be the catlaic convers to on the down pipe

ok ill go down the street have them check again

i`ll bet its
po171
po174
maybe you got them confused?

thats what they are

ok, those are the codes that come up when your intake is leaking .
is it worse in the cold mornings??

9 times out of 10 its the orings on the upper intake (i think the overhead cam engine has these too)where they meet with the lower intake .these orings shrink over time and loose their seal allowing air to get past them .

usually when you have these codes it will idle more funny in the cold mornings or at any cold start ,then as the engine warms up they start to swell and seal a little better and then the idle gets better .

been there done that .

could be the lower intake gaskets as well or both.

search the forum for those codes and do your research .i tackled this job 2 years ago on my ex and its been fine ever since .

those are lean codes by the way .

replacing the 02 sensor isnt the fix(well i guess you found that out) .they have their own code.

i have replace those but it starts up fine and everything but it shows up when i have been driveing it for awhile and when it warmed up i also replace the intake well lower intake i just don't know what els it could be

your lower manifold would look like this ....
DSC00977.JPG

you replaced those rings??

then the upper

see those rings?you done those?

DSC00975.JPG

if you done all that i suspect that elbow is leaking.

i have replaced the lower intake and those rings on top and bottom 2 times and that vacum box thing below the lower intake and the pvc vave with and the pcv lines with it

did you do this twice in attempt to rid yourself of these codes?

these are lean codes ,have you checked fuel pressure at the rail?

Hello,

I hate lean codes. Honestly, it could be anything related to air metering (MAF, Oxygen sensors, IAT, etc.), fuel regulation (injectors, pressure regulator, fuel pump, filter, etc.), ignition (sparkplugs, wires, coil pack, etc.), or compression (head, head gasket, rings, etc.). These codes are tough to remedy. It could be as simple as cleaning your MAF, or it could be as painful as replacing a cylinder head or piston rings (requiring a rebuild).

Check out some of my previous posts regarding my personal struggles with these codes. My first lean code run-in turned out to be a spark plug. I had a second one which turned out to be faulty upper intake gaskets. I also had a third one, along with some coolant seepage, that turned out to be faulty lower intake gaskets. I've heard of others with the same codes caused by any one of the above items.

Please describe your driveability problems as accurately and articulately as possible. When you drive, does the engine hesitate or "skip", like a misfire? Do you lose power under wide-open-throttle? How's your gas mileage? Do you have any coolant leaks? Any and all of these subtle clues will help us narrow this down.

Good luck,

ERUSH

ok i cand drive this thing for awhile it dose fine on the highway but its in town when wants to act up from time to time i have replaced the intake gaskets 2 times and the lower intake also i have replaced iac, 2 differnt egr senors and the egr vavle , mass air flow senor, the idle senor.and the 02 senors but when it acts up it starts idleing low and acts like its not getting much gas and when i press on the gas pedel it takes a few seconds to cum back to normal but even acts like it aint got no power and dose hesitate but i have no coolant leak. but when it dont act up it runs real strong like nothing is wrong and the gas milage is so so but not like it use to be before this all started. what els could it be please help me i know it is something stupid but just dont know what it is and i have replaced the the pvc vavle and the lines and the box that it gos to

Ok.

My working theory, based on your description, is either fuel pressure or ignition. Faulty behavior in both these system's will affect the entire engine, not just one side, and cause driveability problems. In this case, the computer is trying to inject the proper fuel amount for the metered air from the intake sensors (i.e., MAF, IAT, etc.), but incorrect fuel pressure or a faulty spark is not causing complete combustion. The excess oxygen is being sensed by the O2 sensors, and the engine is correcting itself by injecting more fuel to compensate for the "lean" condition.

I would begin with the following fuel and ignition diagnostics:

1. Fuel: Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester and vacuum pump? If not, they're fairly inexpensive. Test the fuel pressure at the manifold (engine running) to see if it's within Ford specifications (~50-60psi if I recall). BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPRAY FUEL!If your fuel pressure is low, change the fuel filter. If this doesn't help, test the fuel pressure regulator by adjusting the vacuum at the regulator, seeing if there is any abnormal variation in fuel pressure.

2. Ignition: When was the last time you changed your spark plugs and wires? What brand name of plugs and wires are currently installed? If it's been a while or you have Bosch equipment, change these parts. Do you have access to a multimeter? You may need to test your coil's resistance values.

Let's start with that. Oh, and bring your patience; this is going to take a while.

Hope everything goes well,

ERUSH

almost sounds like the fuel pump .
does it start acting up after long hot drives?
does it do it more on 90+ degree days?

i have a similar problem and have been putting it off .

after long drives on hot days my ex will start to bog down ,can and will stall.this is on 90+ degree days mind you .i usually pump the gas and i can get it back going but it will keep doing it once it starts .

does it act up more when the tank is near empty?

try this

when it starts acting up like that drive it right to a gas station and put some fresh gas in it .

if the problem clears up (mine does)then the pump is overheating and will need replacement .(the fresh gas cools the pump)

for reference my ex has 150k on it and has the original pump yet .

i did ask if you ever checked the ful pressure at the rail but you didnt answer.

ok i havent yet checked it it mainly happens when i have the ac on and its setting o yea i did find out the the two cats that are together shelled if that would cause any of this i dont know and no i have not checked the fuel presser yet. and yes it acts up on really hot days

Hi All

not sure of this but could it be the engine temp sensor? thinking if this is faulty engine would run rich and stall?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back