Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Valve body gasket.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
lightshift
Australia
1997 for explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Cool Valve body gasket.

hi guys am new to this site, did alot of reading some time ago, about the 1997 explorer xlt, thought this is a very good place to get "knowledge" about this as ford decided they wanted to charge 4000 dollars for an overhaul, and 5000 for the timing redone, so i smiled and walked away with a dumb look on my face, i am tackling it myself with the info from here, the car dont reverse, so i,m going for the valve body gasket approach, i,m hoping this may be the problem, if it is,nt i will start again, i have the "pan" sitting resting tonight on the front shaft and the exhaust, i cannot remove it, so any ideas about this will b great, i live on a property, was hoping to have the valve body inside tonight, so i could admire it, and replace the gasket, am i able to use tubed gasket if i remove the exhaust, until i can get in town to get a proper gasket for it, or should i try the shaft approach, either way i need to do something, the pan is dangling underneath the car unable to be removed, oh and "when" i do this this reversing, i am going into ford with the reciepts, and telling them exactly how much it really should cost plus labor, to tackle this problem, so if it costs me 1000, then it surely will b better than 4k cheers, any tips are appreciated thank you.
lightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. Check the reverse modulation spool in the valve body, the low/reverse servo, and the low reverse band. You should rebuild the valve body if it's already out.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
drdoom
VA
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Pull the shaft

Pull the front drive-shaft, you will then be able to drop the pan.
drdoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
lightshift
Australia
1997 for explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thumbs up

hi guys thanks for the replies, i ended up putting it all back together with new gaskets and filter, did discover the problem is the band "low reverse" band, its all running at the moment, am going to attempt a rebuild myself once i order all the parts, oh if anyone in this site would like to check out this site for majority of ford explorer parts, i found while browsing about for bits and pieces....thanks guys.....ps this site is a little confusing sometimes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
lightshift
Australia
1997 for explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
yeh man i ended up dropping the front drive shaft, and let it hang there, it was,nt too difficult once you got it out the way.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
body, gasket, pan, stuck, valve