Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

95 Ford Explorer Fuel Pressure

Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
95 Ford Explorer Fuel Pressure

I went to Auto Zone today and got my fuel pressure check and it was 30 while running according to the auto zone book it should have been between
35-48.. (I just replace the fuel pump regulator before they checked it)

My questions are how much on a average should I paid to get the fuel pump
replace, and since the pressure is only at 30 should I be in a hurry to fix it?
N2bnfunn is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Lube
Oklahoma
95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2bnfunn View Post
My questions are how much on a average should I paid to get the fuel pump
replace, and since the pressure is only at 30 should I be in a hurry to fix it?
Can't answer the cost part cuz I do it myself, but yes you should get it fixed soon. It won't get better by itself, and it well deteriorate fairly rapidly.
Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
ranger7ltr
Elite Explorer
Great State of Texas
1999 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Was that pressure at idle?

I ask because the vacuum is highest at idle and that will pull the hardest on FPR and lower the pressure...If you remove the vacuum line or open the throttle the pressure should increase up to 35-40 psi...

Is the truck running normally or is it hesitating on acceleration or something else? That pressure at idle is pretty close to, if not, normal...Also when was the last time the filter was replaced? A restricted fuel filter will cause pressure drop as well...

2014 Jeep Compass Limited [Company Vehicle]
2003 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab
1999 Ford Explorer Sport [new playtoy]
1983 Ford Ranger V8 [soon to be gone]
ranger7ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger7ltr View Post
I ask because the vacuum is highest at idle and that will pull the hardest on FPR and lower the pressure...If you remove the vacuum line or open the throttle the pressure should increase up to 35-40 psi...

Is the truck running normally or is it hesitating on acceleration or something else? That pressure at idle is pretty close to, if not, normal...Also when was the last time the filter was replaced? A restricted fuel filter will cause pressure drop as well...
Thanks and yes it was at idle and I will next get the fuel filter change and this time check it with giving it some throttle...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
ranger7ltr
Elite Explorer
Great State of Texas
1999 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Thanks and yes it was at idle and I will next get the fuel filter change and this time check it with giving it some throttle...
If you accelerate the engine under a load does the engine stumble or hesitate? If not, the fuel is probably at the correct level...

But I would still check the fuel pressure...

Old 08-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
If you accelerate the engine under a load does the engine stumble or hesitate? If not, the fuel is probably at the correct level...

But I would still check the fuel pressure...
No it does not ever stumble or hesitate, my problem is the SUN if I leave it out in the SUN it is hard to start but only then..
Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
ranger7ltr
Elite Explorer
Great State of Texas
1999 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Let's look at the symptoms...

Quote:
No it does not ever stumble or hesitate, my problem is the SUN if I leave it out in the SUN it is hard to start but only then..
So if you drive the truck and it is hot outside it is hard to start? If it sits in the sun for 30 mins or 4-6 hrs does it change the condition? If you run into a store for 15-20 mins and it is hot outside is it hard to start as well?

Is it only hard to start when the engine is hot? I am not sure where you are but here in Texas we are routinely seeing 105-115 F daily and I drive my truck in that everyday with no hot startup issues...

I would measure the resistance of the engine coolant temperature sensor if the engine is only hard to start when the engine is up to temperature...As the coolant temp changes this sensor feeds info back to the PCM and at cold start and hot re-startup will enrichen the fuel amount to aid startup...And yes it is possible that the sensor reads properly at engine cold and not when the engine heats up...I recently replaced this same sensor because it was not reading hot enough when measured with my code scanner...I run a 195 F thermostat and I was only seeing 168-172 F engine tempearture from the ECT...

Since I don't believe you have a code scanner the one at AZ might be able to read engine coolant temps as delivered by the ECT and might point in that direction...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
So if you drive the truck and it is hot outside it is hard to start? If it sits in the sun for 30 mins or 4-6 hrs does it change the condition? If you run into a store for 15-20 mins and it is hot outside is it hard to start as well?

Is it only hard to start when the engine is hot? I am not sure where you are but here in Texas we are routinely seeing 105-115 F daily and I drive my truck in that everyday with no hot startup issues...

I would measure the resistance of the engine coolant temperature sensor if the engine is only hard to start when the engine is up to temperature...As the coolant temp changes this sensor feeds info back to the PCM and at cold start and hot re-startup will enrichen the fuel amount to aid startup...And yes it is possible that the sensor reads properly at engine cold and not when the engine heats up...I recently replaced this same sensor because it was not reading hot enough when measured with my code scanner...I run a 195 F thermostat and I was only seeing 168-172 F engine tempearture from the ECT...

Since I don't believe you have a code scanner the one at AZ might be able to read engine coolant temps as delivered by the ECT and might point in that direction...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
No it is not when I drive it and the engine get hot, I am just talking about the truck itself sitting in a parking space in the sun, then it is hard to start, never when I drive it and from the engine heat hard to start. Put I did replaced the engine coolant sensor, and yes I do I had code reader, and when it would not start I connected it, and the error it found was a 327 on both side, so I replace the DPFE sensor and now shows nothing wrong from the code reader.

Suggest this thread to friends: