How do I replace liftgate door handle on 02 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I replace liftgate door handle on 02 Sport

Beence308

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport
The lift gate handle stopped working on my 2002 Sport and I removed the interior panel and found that the yellow plastic clip that connects the handle to the actuator rod broke. Of course, you can't replace the clip, the whole handle needs to go. The problem is that the handle is riveted to the lift gate. I can probably drill out the rivets and perhaps then use nuts and bolts to hold the new handle in place. Has anyone replaced this handle or have any other suggestions (other than having Ford do it)?
Thanks for any help.

i might be in the same boat soon .i had a problem with my handle last week .thought it was broken .
what i did was gave both locking mechanisms(both sides of hatch)a good spray of lubricant then opened and closed the hatch a few times to loosen it all up .

my hatch handle works much better now .still has a flimsy feel to it and i suspect it may break but for now its working again better than it has in awhile.

Back