Headlight switch and pigtail - Can you tell me if I'm doing it wrong? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight switch and pigtail - Can you tell me if I'm doing it wrong?

TXDonna

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ford Explorer
Hi, I just posted on another thread but think it was the wrong place, so hope it's okay to post my question here too.

I have a problem with my 1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Pulling the headlight knob out halfway turned on dash and running (parking?) lights but pulling it all the way turned on the headlights but then the dash, running and tail lights would go off. I could not afford to get it fixed but I must drive at night to get to work.

In desperation, I tried to fix it myself. I read all the threads on this site that I could find, as well as on some other sites. I learned how to do a western union splice, how to solder (I hope), what liquid electric tape is, about Scotch 33+ electric tape, and heat shrink wrap. I got a new switch and pigtail and a Haynes manual, took off the dash, and applied this new knowledge as carefully as I could.

The two yellow wires in the dash that connect to the one yellow wire on the pigtail concerned me, but they go to the same prong on the switch so I twisted them together with the pigtail's yellow wire. The other thing that bugged me is the fatter brown wire coming from the dash hooks up to a black with red stripe on the pigtail, there's no other option, but the brown wire is a bunch of fatter copper strands and the black/red wire's copper strands are noticeably thinner, but the total wire is the same thickness as the brown's, I guess they both fit in the 14 gauge hole in the stripper tool. I was hoping this is okay, but please tell me if it's a problem.

After doing the whole task of hooking up the new pigtail, I got worried and so cut it off and redid the soldering again to try to make sure it wasn't a cold solder job. Then I coated the splices with liquid electric tape. The next day I wrapped them with Scotch 33+, then shrunk the heat shrink over that.

My problem is that now I am scared to put the switch on and hook up the battery again to see if it works. I know it probably won't explode, but I am cautious by nature and have a really, really good imagination for potential disasters. Is there anything obvious I'm missing, or does it look like I did it right and it should be okay?

Also, are the next steps to just plug in the switch, put the knob stick back in it, and hook up the battery so I can start the car and see if the lights work right? I wish I could post the pictures of it but I'm still figuring out how. Maybe I can post them in the next comment.

Thank you for any one out there bearing with this long post. If there's anything else I should be aware of in my ignorance please, please feel free to clue me in. I'll leave the dash off until I know it's working right. Thanks for any help you can give, I truly appreciate it.

okay, nobody do whatever it was I did wrong!

I got brave and hooked up the negative battery cable after putting it back together, then started it to see if the lights would work right.

It sounded terrible (before it sounded fine when starting) and a smell of ozone and some smoke came out of the engine area near the driver side! obviously I did something wrong but after going over everything again I still don't know what. I was wondering if there is a short or something that isn't my fault that caused the old switch and pigtail to burn up, and will burn the new ones up too. Or it may be that I'm too ignorant of all the possibilities here and it's something anyone with more experience would realize.

So I unhooked the negative battery cable again and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. There is no public transportation here and so to get to work I'm going to be dependent on the kindness of others until I can get it fixed. I hope somebody can give me a pointer or two, or maybe others will have similar issues and it will come up in another thread soon? I'll check back.
Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

Back