Picking up my explorer today, what should I check? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Picking up my explorer today, what should I check?

Chicago Lion

Reaction score
I am picking up my explorer today and it's my first new car. Any suggestions what I should check before I drive it off the lot? Your advice can be specific to explorers or just new cars in general.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything- spend an hour combing it over if you need to- it's a huge investment.

Try every button, every switch, every knob. Look at every seat seam, carpet seam, and trim piece for proper fit, including the tailgate, some have had issues with having equal gaps in the back. Look for scuffs, scratches, and dings. Obviously try all of the functions, but looking over as much as you can now may save trips back later...

Good luck!

Somebody else posted this, so I copied it for when my Ex arrived (sorry, I don't know who it was, but they deserve kudos!)

After reading some of the other posts, I decided to try to create a list of items to check to avoid picking up my Explorer in the excitement of the moment only to find issues or missing items a few days later. I combed over the forum to capture other owner’s experiences with picking up their Ex’s or common problems I should look for. Please feel free to add any additional issues or pieces of good advice.

General
Check VIN to match paperwork
No more than 100 miles on odometer

Exterior
Examine the entire exterior of vehicle for any scratches or dents. Check all lights, mirrors, windows, tires, paint, etc.
Signs of moisture inside Mirror Marker Lamp on lower front of side mirrors
Check to ensure Rear hatch is even and opens correctly
Moisture or condensation in headlights or signals
Defroster lines all work on rear window
No pits, cracks, or marks on windshields or windows and all move as expected
Wheels are correct type and free of marks

Interior
Examine the interior for all features and ensure everything is in working order.
Cool/heated seats working and not loud noise
Seats should move in all directions
Tire Mobility Kit (under driver seat for Tow package) (Discontinued in 2012 model)
Check Sony Radio/CD/navigation system/etc. all tested
Check heat and air condition climate controls on all settings
Ambient lighting for Limited
Reverse camera

Electronic
Sync issues 2.8
Check My Key fob
Lock and unlock doors
Remote start

Test Drive
Check steering, transmission, ride, and braking
Adapt Cruise control/collision warning working
Listen for any A Pillar noises- (TSB 11-4-6 NOISE FROM FRONT BOLSTER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/4/2011)
Wipers work
Blind spot monitoring system works

Items from Dealer
Door keypad code
Owner manual
Sirius radio subscription information
Any accessory items
Roof rack cross bars
Floor mats
Cargo shade
Mud guards

One to add and emphasize... Look at roof for cleanliness and water spots/acid rain. They didn't even wash the roof of mine.

If it is a 2012 with tow package, I believe the Tire Mobility Kit has been discontinued from what I've read on other posts.
Congratulations on your purchase. Happy motoring.:)

Peter

Don't pick it up at night.
You will need good lighting to examine the vehicle properly.

check the A pillars....open the front doors, and if you're able to wiggle the two front A pillars...then have them make that repair FIRST. it's a common issue that once you get up to highway speeds, it will rattle and be annoying.

check the tailgate alignment when closed. some earlier models had tailgate misalignment...mine didn't but thats something to defintely check before walking off the lot..

check for ANY scratches/imperfections in paint, no matter how minor they may seem to the sales guy/manager.

check to see what version of MFT you have (2.11 is the newest version). if it's anything less than that, have them do the update.

check the mileage and make sure it matches the paperwork....

Somebody else posted this, so I copied it for when my Ex arrived (sorry, I don't know who it was, but they deserve kudos!)

After reading some of the other posts, I decided to try to create a list of items to check to avoid picking up my Explorer in the excitement of the moment only to find issues or missing items a few days later. I combed over the forum to capture other owner’s experiences with picking up their Ex’s or common problems I should look for. Please feel free to add any additional issues or pieces of good advice.

General
Check VIN to match paperwork
No more than 100 miles on odometer

Exterior
Examine the entire exterior of vehicle for any scratches or dents. Check all lights, mirrors, windows, tires, paint, etc.
Signs of moisture inside Mirror Marker Lamp on lower front of side mirrors
Check to ensure Rear hatch is even and opens correctly
Removal of dealer emblem (if attached to vehicle)
Moisture or condensation in headlights or signals
Defroster lines all work on rear window
No pits, cracks, or marks on windshields or windows and all move as expected
Wheels are correct type and free of marks

Interior
Examine the interior for all features and ensure everything is in working order.
Cool/heated seats working and not loud noise
Seats should move in all directions
Tire Mobility Kit (under driver seat for Tow package) (Discontinued in 2012 model)
Check Sony Radio/CD/navigation system/etc. all tested
Check heat and air condition climate controls on all settings
Ambient lighting for Limited
Reverse camera

Electronic
Sync issues 2.8
Check My Key fob
Lock and unlock doors
Remote start

Test Drive
Check steering, transmission, ride, and braking
Adapt Cruise control/collision warning working
Listen for any A Pillar noises- (TSB 11-4-6 NOISE FROM FRONT BOLSTER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/4/2011)
Wipers work
Blind spot monitoring system works

Items from Dealer
Door keypad code
Owner manual
Sirius radio subscription information
Any accessory items
Roof rack cross bars
Floor mats
Cargo shade
Mud guards

What happens/what can be done if there's more than 100 miles on the odometer. Why is that a magic number?

i think if it has more than 100 miles, chances are it was used several times for a test drive, or it was a dealer trade and they drove it from the other dealer. in both of those instances, you never know how that person drove the vehicle. there could be potential rock chips/scratches. and if you don't mind the mileage, then at least try to get the price of the vehicle dropped because of it, or have them give you free oil changes, etc.

Also, make sure if you ordered a 4WD...that it's ACTUALLY a 4WD. Went to pick mine up this morning and half way through the inspection I noticed there was NO 4WD selector knob! I looked at the sticker and sure s***, it said FWD. Custom order round 2, coming up.

*Side note, my wife and I were pretty calm about it - our XC-90 still runs fine (it just has 90K miles on it). But obviously the dealer should throw in a bennie or two. I was thinking free extended warranty. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Also, make sure if you ordered a 4WD...that it's ACTUALLY a 4WD. Went to pick mine up this morning and half way through the inspection I noticed there was NO 4WD selector knob! I looked at the sticker and sure s***, it said FWD. Custom order round 2, coming up.

*Side note, my wife and I were pretty calm about it - our XC-90 still runs fine (it just has 90K miles on it). But obviously the dealer should throw in a bennie or two. I was thinking free extended warranty. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Oh no! You got the wrong Ex??? I recall your other post from the mpg thread. Glad you caught it before papers were signed.

Check the wheels if the rims have the sticky stuff removed completely or it's going to be a PITA to clean off.

Oh no! You got the wrong Ex??? I recall your other post from the mpg thread. Glad you caught it before papers were signed.

Yep. Unreal. And to think, when they called on Friday while I was at work and said it was in...I almost just had my wife go pick it up.
When we were inspecting it and I noticed...she was like, "how could you tell?" and "does it really make a difference?" Whew.

Yep. Unreal. And to think, when they called on Friday while I was at work and said it was in...I almost just had my wife go pick it up.
When we were inspecting it and I noticed...she was like, "how could you tell?" and "does it really make a difference?" Whew.

After driving an 2011 X 4X4 for 6 months, I'm of the same mind as your wife - "does it really make a difference?"

So far my best assessment is it is very hard to tell -
4X4 is now front wheel biased.
4X4 is always on with no way to disable.
4X4 no longer offers low range.

So what is 4X4? I'm guessing it is AWD with a terrain management system. OK perhaps, but lacking the ability to put it into low range or turn it off altogether is a serious short coming (in my opinion). I've owned Explorers before and the redesigned vehicle is an Explorer in name only.

I guess I'm not the demographic Ford redesigned the new Explorer for.

No disrespect to those who love their new X.

Al

That is exactly why I had the dealer fax me the order confirmation. The first one they faxed to me had an order for a FWD. Called them back and they corrected it to a 4WD. Luckily it was over labor day weekend when I ordered it, got the fax that Tuesday, had it fixed by Tuesday afternoon. Only thing they forgot the 2nd time around was the front license plate bracket. They also claimed they couldn't put the roof cross bars on, but it is a DIO anyway.

Back