Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Where is the Crankshaft Sensor located at?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thumbs down Where is the Crankshaft Sensor located at?

Hello so where is the Crankshaft Sensor located at on a 95 Explorer 4WD 4.0L EFI
N2bnfunn is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
BIGTREAD
COLUMBIA MD
2000 XLS

Vehicle Specs

That thing is located at the back of the engine jambed close to the firewall. Oops, was thinking of the CAMSHAFT sensor! Sry.

Last edited by BIGTREAD; 10-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.
BIGTREAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
CKP location

The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is mounted on the engine front timing cover. It senses the teeth on the trigger wheel attached to the harmonic dampener. Because of being located near the bottom of the engine compartment it is exposed to road grime and water, etc. and the electrical contacts may get corroded. Disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connector several times cleans the contacts.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000StreetRod View Post
The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is mounted on the engine front timing cover. It senses the teeth on the trigger wheel attached to the harmonic dampener. Because of being located near the bottom of the engine compartment it is exposed to road grime and water, etc. and the electrical contacts may get corroded. Disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connector several times cleans the contacts.
Ok I think I know where you are talking about if I get under the truck and where the belt goes around the crankshaft puller it is plug beside it? Is that where it is at?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2bnfunn View Post
Ok I think I know where you are talking about if I get under the truck and where the belt goes around the crankshaft puller it is plug beside it? Is that where it is at?
Correct
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
N2bnfunn
1995 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000StreetRod View Post
Correct
Ok I thought that was it, I just can't get the wire plug off, with out breaking it? What is the best way to unplug it with out breaking the plug?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Youngcheezy
Manawa, WI
97 E.B. Exp 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

I just replaced my crankshaft position sensor on my 97 Explorer 5.0. The sensor is right in the front by the water pump and the fan. The best way, well what I found out the hard way, to replace is to take of the belt. It gets in the way a little bit. The bolts are 8mm (I found that 5/16 fits more snuggly and that is what i used in the end.
The problem i ran into is my 8mm socket was cracked and i didn't know this until i was trying to get that dang bottom bolt out and ended up stripping it! Don't strip it (obviously) it is a pain in the arse!! by far the worst!
so easiest way, remove the 2 bolts (top and bottom) easiest way you can; crawling under, laying on the engine, ect.. then just unplug it. it came right out for me, well after the back-breaker of removing my stripped bolt.
then plug the new one in. My explorer started right up after that!, well i had to reset via taking off the battery terminals and waiting 10 seconds
PS i also, while turning the key over, i didn't initially "start" the vehicle, i waited until i hear the fuel pump actually pump fuel, then turned off. I repeated that 3 times so i had plenty of fuel in there then she cranked right over..

I should say that my initial problem and why i had to replace the sensor is because one morning she just decided not to start... go figure it happened to be the day i needed her the most haha!! i narrowed it down to the crankshaft position sensor then replaced.
Youngcheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Youngcheezy
Manawa, WI
97 E.B. Exp 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2bnfunn View Post
Ok I thought that was it, I just can't get the wire plug off, with out breaking it? What is the best way to unplug it with out breaking the plug?
remove the bolts, then unplug her.. pretty straight forward. nothing should break, well at least nothing broke on me.
Youngcheezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: