Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2002 explorer rear diff fluid change

Old 10-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
ivrb
southern cal
2000 xls

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2002 explorer rear diff fluid change

Any one have an idea the steps to change diff fluid from the rear diff, its independent suspension
ivrb is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
my1zamboni
Maine
2002 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ar+diff+change
my1zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
esclamada
KCMO
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2348605&type=3

this pump actually makes the filling much easier since you don't have to be under the truck. It's available in Walmart and any Auto parts store. Way cheaper in Harbor Freight ($4-$6 depending on the coupon)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer
esclamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Exproblems
Elite Explorer
Orchard Park, N.Y.

'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivrb View Post
Any one have an idea the steps to change diff fluid from the rear diff, its independent suspension
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Besides the info you got from other people in here on this rear diif fluid change job, you will need to find out if your rear diff is a "Limited Slip" differential. If you DO HAVE a Limited Slip Diff, you will need to add 4 ounces of Friction Modifier along with the new gear oil. Rear Diff holds approx 1.60 to 1.75 quarts of oil, so 2 quarts of new gear oil will do the job, Mobil 1 75W-140 Full Synthetic or equivalent brand. Friction Modifier comes in a squeeze tube and costs about $6-$7 in a parts store or buy Fords own brand from a Ford dealership. Ford recommends this additive BTW for Limited Slip diff's.
Exproblems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Thomas Mackin
Eagle River,Wi
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ford also recommends changing what they called for to the heavier oil. I have had great luck with Amsoil 75-140 which is thetype Ford now recommends. Also I used the Amsoil friction modifier because I have the limited slip. If you do the front one use the 75-90 and no modifier but you will have to use your pump to suck out the old through the fill port because ther is no drain. A good idea if you have high mileage and use the 4x4. Do not forget to put a sealer on the threads of the plugs.
Thomas Mackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
RickM
'02 Explorer 4.6 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I don't have limited slip but I do suffer from the all-to-common rear end whine. I filled with one bottle of Ford's heavier diff oil and a bottle of Lucas oil treatment. The whine is about at 1/3 the level it was before. Better than I expected.

Lucas states that one could use their "additive" exclusively in a diff. Not sure if this would result in better performance or a quieter ride.
Also, the stuff is a real bear to pump due to its honey-like viscosity.

RickM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: