Block Heater | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lookgoodn43

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel,Qc, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT AWD Explorer
Finally found the plug to the block heater, just under the hood neatly placed in it's harness. Great, now the problem it's a one and half feet long. Has anyone figured out how to get the end of the block heater plug out without always having to open up the hood to plug in an extension cord.

Thx, One very happy Explorer XLT Tuxedo Black owner.:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Build a permanent small extension cord and zip tie it maye under the bumper or something

Do you plan on using it daily ?, just wondering how often it is worth using, I think the manual says it is useful as temps approach minus fifteen degrees. Average temps in my area are about minus ten degrees most of the winter, just wondering if it is worth using. It might be good to have on a timer to turn on a few hours ahead of start up rather than running it all night long ?. Any thoughts ?

Yikes! I am going to have to look at this too. Can be -25 here for a week or more.
Subscribing to this thread...

I use mine when temps hit the 30s.

Not overnight, but for an hour in the morning. Anything to help the oil circulate faster reduces engine wear. And, it's nice to have heat right away...

I use mine when temps hit the 30s.

Not overnight, but for an hour in the morning. Anything to help the oil circulate faster reduces engine wear. And, it's nice to have heat right away...

Good suggestion, that is what I might do and see if I can get it on a timer for early morning hours.

Do you plan on using it daily ?, just wondering how often it is worth using, I think the manual says it is useful as temps approach minus fifteen degrees. Average temps in my area are about minus ten degrees most of the winter, just wondering if it is worth using. It might be good to have on a timer to turn on a few hours ahead of start up rather than running it all night long ?. Any thoughts ?
Timers are the way to go if you are using a block heater. Set it to come on a couple of hours before you plan to start the vehicle. I have the block heater as well and have had them in the Highlanders too. Never used them. I figure if it isn't going to start, I'd rather it not start at home than away from it. :D

I plan on making a small extension cord of about three feet so that I can route it through the grill. I only plug the block heater in when the temp falls below -20c. I always use a timer and it is recommended by Ford to start the timer three hours before you start the vehicle in cold temp -18c and below. I hope I do not have to use the block heater this winter but I know that won't happen..(lol). The temperature can reach -40c where live and that's without the windchill factor. The block heater doesn't heat the oil like in the old days, it actually warms the engine coolant and in turn warms up the whole engine. Today Ford uses synthetic blend oil for two reasons, first for better circulating oil through the engine on those very cold days and second longer oil life which reduces oil changes, the reason we can go 16,000 k/m between oil changes. Hope this helps everyone with the block heater questions....

Thx, From one very happy Explorer owner.

I was able to unclip the existing cord, and re-route it out to inside the front grill without having to extend it. I 3m body taped a small tywrap anchor to the underside of lowest (and largest) grill slot approx 2" (50mm) toward the center from the passenger side. Had to remove the plastic grill top plate to re-route. Ran the cable on the passenger side down into the grill.
http://www.amazon.com/Startech-HC102-Adhesive-Cable-Mounts/dp/B00008VFBE
Then I loosely tywrapped the block heater plug to the anchor. I am able to tuck it in behind the grill so it doesn't flop around and still reach in/pull out and to connect when needed. Will snip tywrap and route back to engine bay when warmer weather returns... (May) lol.

Block heater?
Does my explorer have one?
Where is the plug?
I have a 2011 limited with 302a and tow....

Block heater?
Where is the plug?
Usually the vehicle's manual will tell you where its located.

Block heater?
Where is the plug?
The engine block heater is listed as a standard feature in the 2011 Explorer brochure. I'm going from memory now but I believe the plug and cord are located tucked away on the upper left side (facing the vehicle) near the front when you open the hood.
By the way. I've not seen anything in the manual about it. Not saying it isn't there but no mention of it in the index.

The block heater comes standard on all Explorers in Canada and in some States but not all. The owners manual doesn't say where it is located, but just open up the hood and it is right on top nested in its clip.

Block heater?
Where is the plug?

If you bought your truck in Texas, it does not have one as a free option. Only "cold weather states" get them for free. States, like; WI, MN and a few others. That's why I bought mine out of state, in Wisconsin. One reason, anyways.

Would someone be kind enough to take a picture of the location of their block heater plug?

My 2011 Ex LTD was a custom order in CO, so I believe I *should* have one. But I have looked all around under the hood by the radiator and I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

You need to move below the 30th Parallel, and this wouldn't be neccessary.;)

Would someone be kind enough to take a picture of the location of their block heater plug?

My 2011 Ex LTD was a custom order in CO, so I believe I *should* have one. But I have looked all around under the hood by the radiator and I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

I assume you are referring to the electrical plug. On my Limited it is right by the oil cap and has a sticker on it that says AC. The plug has a rubber cap over it.

Peter

Attachments

• PB220269a.jpg
    PB220269a.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 34,252

That is a great pic! Thanks Peter!
I'll check mine tonight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if I can add the parts to mine to give me the same block heater.
I looked in the online parts catalog and could not find it.
Has anyone done this?

Back