• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Gas Fill

den6321

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I took delivery of my 2011 Explorer (LTD) in late February. I love it !!! However, I have been experiencing some difficulty in being able to keep a constant flow of gas into the tank at gas stations. The pump automatically shuts off after a few seconds of pumping. This occurs despite me backing off on the rate.

It happens when the tank is empty or half full and it happens at ALL service stations I have tried it in MA, CT, VT, NY and NJ. Is anyone else experiencing this problem ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is anyone else experiencing this problem ?
No - and I don't do anything special when filling the tank. Just open up the door, insert nozzle, and pump.

I'd be scheduling a service visit if I had that problem. Sounds like something in the venting is not correct.

I have pumped in over 1,300 gallons of gas into my new Explorer since late February, without issue.

Sounds like a venting issue as was stated. The vapor recovery isnt working properly so it is prematurely shutting off.

Mine was a late February build and I have not experienced any problems filling the tank even with the nozzle wide open.

Maybe the pump nozzle you used has too high a flow. Not rocket science, use the next slower setting.

Maybe the pump nozzle you used has too high a flow. Not rocket science, use the next slower setting.
He has stated that he has done that and this problem still occurs at every station.

I have found depending on the nozzle length and bend angle I get this sometimes too. Don't cram it all the way in at first (thats what she said). Keep about a .25 of an inch out and make sure to wait 5 seconds before you start pumping.

Pretty sure that ^^^^^ is going to end up in someone's signature line.

no problem filling my xlt, first full tank today

I have found depending on the nozzle length and bend angle I get this sometimes too. Don't cram it all the way in at first (thats what she said). Keep about a .25 of an inch out and make sure to wait 5 seconds before you start pumping.

Waiting 5 seconds doesnt do anything when pumping fuel.

What prematurely shuts a pump off is the vapor recovery.. that is how it knows when your tank is full. What I would normally say is the issue is a bad nozzle but being it happens at every station, it is venting with the vehicle, not the nozzle.

Are you filling with the vehicle off?

Take it back to the dealer. That's why we have a warranty...

Guys, Thanks for the replies. I am taking it in next week but I wanted to see if it might be a "design" thing and if others were having the same problem. I have tried all of the suggestions and nothing works. I do believe it is a venting thing. Will let y'all know after i get it back. I especially liked the comment about not putting it in all the way;)

Slow Gas Fueling

Only in the last few times filling my gas tank have I started to experience problems pumping gas into my Explorer. It has over 8000 miles of refueling with no problems. I thought the first time it was the gas nozzle of that specific gas station, but it continued to reoccur. I listening to the gas flow in and it sounds like there may be a kink in the line because it bubbles up and shuts off the nozzle. After a few seconds its ready to have more fuel. Sometimes if I really slowly refuel it accepts it all. However, I have to schedule my refueling time to periods that the gas stations are empty or it at times takes a good 10 minutes to fill the tank from E.:mad:

Only in the last few times filling my gas tank have I started to experience problems pumping gas into my Explorer. It has over 8000 miles of refueling with no problems. I thought the first time it was the gas nozzle of that specific gas station, but it continued to reoccur. I listening to the gas flow in and it sounds like there may be a kink in the line because it bubbles up and shuts off the nozzle. After a few seconds its ready to have more fuel. Sometimes if I really slowly refuel it accepts it all. However, I have to schedule my refueling time to periods that the gas stations are empty or it at times takes a good 10 minutes to fill the tank from E.:mad:
I'd have the dealer take a look at it. That definitely doesn't sound right. Something appears to have changed to cause this problem.

Keep us posted on what the dealer finds out about the issue. Could be something failing in the vent recovery system.

My truck just started doing this after 6,000 miles. Its very annoying. Having the dealer take a look as I've also tried everything I can think of to fix this myself.

OK, Just back from the dealer. Vehicle is still there but they think it is a "funnel web spider". According to the service guy they can build really tight webs in the vent which restricts the vapor from escaping. Needless to say not a warranty issue. I have never heard of anything like this and have searched the web and can't find any topics about them - in particular how to prevent it from happening again!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, Just back from the dealer. Vehicle is still there but they think it is a "funnel web spider". According to the service guy they can build really tight webs in the vent which restricts the vapor from escaping. Needless to say not a warranty issue. I have never heard of anything like this and have searched the web and can't find any topics about them - in particular how to prevent it from happening again!!!

Mazda had an issue with spider webs in the gas tank ventilation system a couple of months ago. It is a very bizarre thing.

Here's a link for you: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/03/134230537/spider-web-in-fuel-vent-prompts-mazda-recall

And another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheiracanthium

Back