Ford Remote Start Accessory | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Remote Start Accessory

Continued playing with the remote range. I'm able to consistently get a start from 2 blocks away - with the Explorer near the outside wall, 4 stories up.

I'm not able to get a start from the upper floors of the building the same 2 blocks away. It seems the concrete floors and rebar are blocking the signal.

From inside a building, I'm getting consistent starts even 100 feet away with the Explorer sitting in an outside parking lot.

All and all, I'm happy with it. The range is good enough and about what I expected. Not cheap given the install costs, but worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I've continued playing with the remote start - I've managed to now get consistent starts from 20+ stories in the air to the Explorer in the parking garage 2 blocks away. :D I just have to hold the key fob really close to the window. Not sure if the window coating is metallic, but it might be. But either way, it works!

One thing I checked tonight was that after getting a successful start if the car would remain running even if it lost contact with the key fob. It does stay running. Yea!

Started the Explorer. Took the elevator down, walked to the car, and it was pretty warm by the time I got there.

Now if they would just give the ability to set the temp at which the heated seats come on, the seats would be toasty by the time I arrived.

Any way, it works, and I am happy.

Is there such a model, including 3rd party that just simply starts the car. I am in a rural area where no one locks there doors, nor is there a need to. I was hoping to get "just" a car starter for around 150-200. is there such an animal? I don't mind carrying a separate fob- but I do mind paying a lot more $$ for function and feature sets that I likely will never ever use.

My explorer doesn't have remote start, can I get it installed at the dealership?

Remote start 35$, bought my wife a new pair of boots, works every time with unlimited range......LOL

2012 Ford Explorer Base Remote Start

In case anyone is wondering, when I asked my dealer about getting a remote start put in my 2012 explorer, I was told that the 100 model was the only one that will currently work with my explorer and that it was the only one that they could install. My aftermarket installer buddy also wouldn't touch it as they didn't have wiring diagrams for the 2012 car.

Has anyone heard of new wiring diagrams for the Ford Explorer 2012? I assumed they would be the same as the 2011 base, but who knows! No one will touch it yet since it's too new.

Bi-Directional Remote Starter Install on 2012 XLT

So I finally got my new command start and decided to put it in this afternoon. I purchased the starter from partscheap.com. It is the bi-directional unit without the integrated alarm.

IMG-20111214-00527-2.jpg

The kit includes the following parts

Antenna
Antenna wiring
Control Module
Module harness
Remote fob
Zip ties

IMG-20111214-00528-1.jpg

The only tool you will need is a 9/32" socket and wire cutters to cut the zip ties. I recommend buying extra zip ties as the kit only comes with 4. I used 20 + but I like to keep things clean.

My explorer came with the hood switch which is required for this kit so I did not need to install one.

IMG-20111214-00531.jpg

I will split this up over several posts as my iPad seems to want to delete my post before I am complete:D

Step 1: Remove A-Pillar trim on passenger side.

Remove two 9/32" bolts holding the handle to the pillar.

IMG-20111214-00534-1.jpg

Pull firmly on plastic molding and clips will release at the top.

IMG-20111214-00535-1.jpg

The bottom is held in place with plastic feet that slide into the holes shown below.

Winnipeg-20111214-00537-1.jpg

Step 2: Remove glove box

Undo the glovebox tether by sliding out the plastic fitting shown below which is on the right hand side.

Winnipeg-20111214-00543.jpg

Two tabs will need to be pressed in to allow the glove box to drop.

Winnipeg-20111214-00542.jpg

Remove the white glovebox pins by sliding them out.

Winnipeg-20111214-00547.jpg

Winnipeg-20111214-00552.jpg

Step #3

Remove the side panel from the center console shown in photo below.

Winnipeg-20111214-00554.jpg

This is a little tricky as there are several tabs that are difficult to get out past the passenger seat. All you need to do is pull and it will come off.

IMG-20111214-00556.jpg

Step #4

Remove the back panel on the center console shown in image below.

Winnipeg-20111214-00557.jpg

Again all you need to do is pull away from the console and it will come apart.

Winnipeg-20111214-00558.jpg

Step #5

Unplug the TPMS sensor plug which is located at the bottom.

Winnipeg-20111214-00561.jpg

Plug in the new harness male plug into the TPMS port and connect the old plug to the female connection.

Winnipeg-20111214-00566.jpg

Step #6

Route the wire harness along the center console into the glove box area and zip tie to existing wire to keep it neat:D

IMG-20111214-00570.jpg

Step #7

Install the new antenna to the windshield below the the rear view mirror below the metal shielding. I zip tied the the wire to the existing wire to keep it clean.

IMG-20111214-00572.jpg

You will need to route the antenna wire in the headliner and this can easily be done without removing it.

Route the wire down the A-Pillar and into the glove box area. Again zip ties help keep this neat and wires pulled tight.

IMG-20111214-00574.jpg

Step #8

Attach the antenna wire and harness to the control module and zip tie to frame inside the glove box.

Winnipeg-20111214-00580.jpg

I used the section shown below.

Winnipeg-20111214-00577.jpg

I used two zip ties and it secures it pretty tight.

IMG-20111214-00581.jpg

A few more zip ties to secure the antenna wire in the glove box area and them it was time to put it back together. Everything snaps together pretty easily.

Once this is complete, the dealer will need to enable it using the IDS. I had this done yesterday and they charged me a half hour labor and now I have all the remote start options in the MFT screen.

It was a pretty simple install as far as remote starts are concerned as everything is plug in connectors.

Let me know if you have any questions.

So, I've continued playing with the remote start - I've managed to now get consistent starts from 20+ stories in the air to the Explorer in the parking garage 2 blocks away. :D I just have to hold the key fob really close to the window. Not sure if the window coating is metallic, but it might be. But either way, it works!...
dco43054,

20+ stories and two blocks away? That’s impressive! :D:thumbsup:

...I don't mind carrying a separate fob- but I do mind paying a lot more $$ for function and feature sets that I likely will never ever use.
My explorer doesn't have remote start, can I get it installed at the dealership?
In case anyone is wondering, when I asked my dealer about getting a remote start put in my 2012 explorer, I was told that the 100 model was the only one that will currently work with my explorer and that it was the only one that they could install...
spitfisher, Fordy55, & jonredcorn,

In case you missed my post on the other thread, here it is again:

Check out http://Accessories.Ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2012/electronics/remote-start.html for a list of the available Remote Start Systems on the 2012 Explorer.

Keep in mind that the Hood Switch Kit (BT4Z-19G366-A) is required if your vehicle is not equipped with a factory-installed hood switch.

Remote start 35$, bought my wife a new pair of boots, works every time with unlimited range......LOL
lookgoodn43,

I’m not sure if that’s considered “unlimited range”. :)

Cory

In case anyone is wondering, when I asked my dealer about getting a remote start put in my 2012 explorer, I was told that the 100 model was the only one that will currently work with my explorer and that it was the only one that they could install. My aftermarket installer buddy also wouldn't touch it as they didn't have wiring diagrams for the 2012 car.

Has anyone heard of new wiring diagrams for the Ford Explorer 2012? I assumed they would be the same as the 2011 base, but who knows! No one will touch it yet since it's too new.
Maybe no aftermarket - but the extended range Ford models works just fine from a reasonable distance.

I get consistent starts from inside the grocery store, warehouse club, etc.

I'm having the 100 series installed 12/22 on my XLT. If it has the range of the normal key fob I'll be happy. I've been able to unlock my doors from ~200ft. I'm really only worried about starting the car from about that distance anyways.

Anyone that has it already... If I want the heated seats to come on as well do I need to setup anything within MFT? I've only had my Ex for less than 2 weeks and I'm not sure how the temperature memory works. How do you set it up so that the car remembers the last temperature setting when starting the car or using the remote start? Any basic remote start setup details would be appreciated.

Will continue tomorrow...
Please do. I'd like to see the rest of what went on with mine. I was going to install myself, but my friend is the dealer, so I let them do it.

He said the headliner had to be loosened to snake the antenna wire up through, the module goes in behind the glovebox, and you have to take the console apart to attach the interlock lead for the gear selector (because the car will shut off someone tries to just jam it in gear and drive off).

Updated post with final details

Thanks nice DIY instructions.

Thank you rojomoto. This is very informative. I had my Ford dealer install a remote starter in my 7 month old XLT. I could have had the teenage kid up the street do as good a job. It is totally unintergrated with the car's system. There is a splice in front of the fuse box. As if the fuse box isn't hard enough to get to already I have to be careful not to detach this wire when I remove the cover. My EX has the hood switch but my Ford dealer installed starter will still start the car even with the hood up! My dealer charged me $399.00. But I did get 2 fobs, lol.

If I was getting one installed now I would print out your posts and give them to my Ford dealer so they would know what to do.

Excellent DIY. Very informative!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered the kit from Ford Super Center ..

I also called my Dealer to make sure they would take care of the computer part of the install...

I'll let you know how it goes..

rojomoto, thanks for the directions.. I sent you a PM

Joe

Back