• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate

rmp301

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Today, as I attempted to open the power liftgate, it opened appx 10 inches and cycled back to close. Tried twice more with the same results. Used dashboard button, fob and outside handle ...... No luck. Truck was running. Shut off and removed key ...... When I restarted it, everything worked normally. Anyone else have this problem? It seems that shut down and pulling out key eliminates problems with errors with the Explorer. ie: Terrain Management fault.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today, as I attempted to open the power liftgate, it opened appx 10 inches and cycled back to close. Tried twice more with the same results. Used dashboard button, fob and outside handle ...... No luck. Truck was running. Shut off and removed key ...... When I restarted it, everything worked normally. Anyone else have this problem? It seems that shut down and pulling out key eliminates problems with errors with the Explorer. ie: Terrain Management fault.
With so much electronics on board I'm not too surprised. It seems as though something was telling it do this if it was that consistant, no matter what you first tried. Shutting it off may have reset a program. Hopefully having to take the key out isn't part of the solution. I don't have one.;)

For me, sometimes the lift gate closes nice and easy, hits the latch, then click, pulls tight. And sometimes, just before it gets to the latch, it just kind of slams shut. Going to try and see if maybe its weather/temperature related.

Used it several times now and not a problem. I came from a '04 Escape xlt, so this is like sitting in a 747 ****pit. I do agree ...... way to much electronics ....... I do believe that errors reside in memory and have to be wiped clear by a restart. Three identical errors and nothing was found to be interfering bwith the liftgates operation., Then on restart, it was like nothing had happened previously and it worked fine.

If you open the lift gate, the black rubber strip opposite( underside)of the window glass on each side has a safety pinch sensor in it. If this strip of rubber gets "pinched" it reverses and opens the lift gate back up. Make sure nothing is in its way, but I have seen similar rubber strips with pinch sensors used for doors where the sensor shorts. Sometimes you can squeeze the rubber in the opposite direction to "un-short" it.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Now that the weather is colder outside, it fails to open more consistantly then in Oct and Nov ......... If the truck is in the sun, or the cabin heater is on and the interior is warm, it works fine. I'm starting to think it has a bad strut and the colder temps are affecting it's lifting power. I gotta time this right and have to have it checked out before the dealership brings it inside and lets it sit in the warm garage for a half hr, otherwise they won't be able to duplicate it. Any thoughts on this?

Still researching this issue and found this in the Ex manual: Resetting the power liftgate:
The power liftgate may not operate properly and may need to be reset if
any of these conditions occur:
• a low voltage or dead battery
• disconnected battery
• the liftgate is manually closed and left ajar (unlatched)
To reset the power liftgate:
1. Disconnect the battery for 20 seconds then, reconnect the battery.
2. Manually close and fully latch the liftgate.
3. Power open the liftgate by using the transmitter, or the instrument
panel control button.
Dealership disconnected battery to clear the "Terrain Management Fault" ........ This was when the liftgate became a bit funky ..... opening several inches and reclosing, sometimes operating normally. Seems like one issue can cause another ......... The Ex relies on many electronic sub systems and everything seems to be tied to all these electronic components. Another trip back to the dealership will be schedualed.

Does anyone else hear a grinding noise from their power liftgate when it's opening? I'm pretty sure it's the hydraulic system. Just didn't think it'd be so noisy.

Nope. That's not normal. Mines pretty quiet... When I open/close it from drivers button, I actually have to check the rear view to make sure the door is in motion.

Does anyone else hear a grinding noise from their power liftgate when it's opening? I'm pretty sure it's the hydraulic system. Just didn't think it'd be so noisy.

Possibly the strut sticking in cold? Maybe applying some cold resistant lube?

Now that the weather is colder outside, it fails to open more consistantly then in Oct and Nov ......... If the truck is in the sun, or the cabin heater is on and the interior is warm, it works fine. I'm starting to think it has a bad strut and the colder temps are affecting it's lifting power. I gotta time this right and have to have it checked out before the dealership brings it inside and lets it sit in the warm garage for a half hr, otherwise they won't be able to duplicate it. Any thoughts on this?

Pretty quite operation, no issues, been at freezing most days for a week now, and i use the lift gate daily. One thing to check, allthough this may not be your issue. The lift gate button on the hatch sometimes if you press to long it resets the position where you want it to stop maybe someone hit it by accident while closing? Our daughter did this thinking she forgot something in the back while closing it?

I noticed here in CT when it has been cold out that it would not open when I clicked on the FOB to open it up. It wouldnt lift up once it popped off the latch. I clicked on the button twice and it just sat there. I noticed that when in my garage this does not happen but when i keep it outside it doesnt like the cold and it wont function as expected.

Let me know what you found out rpm301. This probably is happening to more people who live in colder temp areas.

I noticed here in CT when it has been cold out that it would not open when I clicked on the FOB to open it up. It wouldnt lift up once it popped off the latch. I clicked on the button twice and it just sat there. I noticed that when in my garage this does not happen but when i keep it outside it doesnt like the cold and it wont function as expected.

Let me know what you found out rpm301. This probably is happening to more people who live in colder temp areas.
It's been a bit warmer these past few days and it works flawlesly. Ive cleaned and siliconed the gaskets and the struts are clean as well. I agree ..... Cold weather, and not even frigid, just cold. Even when cold, if the rear of the truck has the sun shining on it, it will open fine. No sense bringing it in as they will not be able to replicate it.

this happened to me the first time the other night when it was close to 32 degrees. The first time I hit the button on the door, it needed manual help to open. But closing and multiple uses afterwards powered just fine.

this happened to me the first time the other night when it was close to 32 degrees. The first time I hit the button on the door, it needed manual help to open. But closing and multiple uses afterwards powered just fine.
It was 21 degrees here today and no problem opening/closing liftgate with fob. Retested again this morning (Dec. 29) at 10 degrees and no problems.

So i spoke with the dealership about this issue and they will check it out. I will report what they say.

Hey guys,

Update for the lift gate issue. I gave my X to them yesterday and spoke with the service manager and asked her to keep my X outside tonight so tomorrow they could see if the lift gate can open or not. I live in CT and in Norwalk area last night it was in the 30's. So not completely frozen. The service manager told me that the technician pulled in the X and it sat a little in the garage before he attempted to open the lift gate and he couldnt. He tried to open it several times and could not. They are still investigating the issue. No new results yet. As soon as I have them I will let you know. So the issue can be replicated. Key is to let them have the X the nite before and have them try it in the morning.

I have the same problem (does not open or reverses on opening when cold). My dealer did replicate. They adjusted the door. This did not resolve the problem. I'm afraid to have them fool with the hatch. Rattles are easier to make than fix. If this were a garage door opener I would decrease the obstruction sensitivity slightly. The Explorer is much more sensitive to obstruction than my '08 and '11 Edges. This appears to be a common issue. Maybe Ford has an idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem (does not open or reverses on opening when cold). My dealer did replicate. They adjusted the door. This did not resolve the problem. I'm afraid to have them fool with the hatch. Rattles are easier to make than fix. If this were a garage door opener I would decrease the obstruction sensitivity slightly. The Explorer is much more sensitive to obstruction than my '08 and '11 Edges. This appears to be a common issue. Maybe Ford has an idea?
Welcome to the Forum PJFW8.:wavey:
I don't think I'd call it a common issue although some owners have been affected by it. As I posted above, it was 10 F this morning and I had no problems with the liftgate all all.

Back