Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Dead battery

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
sgparnes
Atlanta, GA
2011 Limited WMetTr/Pecan

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dead battery

Went out of town for 6 days and when I returned battery was completely dead. 5 months old vehicle. I had OnStar FMV installed and my thought was that it drained the battery. I called OnStar and they said the mirror has a self contained battery for power. I think that battery is just a backup and OnStar drawers power from the car. I know the GPS(nav) etc. is always on. Any thoughts?
sgparnes is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgparnes View Post
Went out of town for 6 days and when I returned battery was completely dead. 5 months old vehicle. I had OnStar FMV installed and my thought was that it drained the battery. I called OnStar and they said the mirror has a self contained battery for power. I think that battery is just a backup and OnStar drawers power from the car. I know the GPS(nav) etc. is always on. Any thoughts?
This isn't the first post about a battery dying after sitting for a while. I recall this item being brought up a few months ago. Unfortunately I do not remember much more about it. You can try seaching the forum to see if anything pops up.

Peter

Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
dco43054
cmh
11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgparnes View Post
I had my old XM receiver and brake controller kill a battery after about the same amount of time on my old explorer. Small draw, but over time, it can do it, especially with smaller batteries on newer cars.

Now, I make sure to unplug the brake controller when I'm parking it for a while at the airport, etc.
dco43054 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Jackal01
South Texas
2012 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorta off topic (sorry to hear your situation). One of the first upgrades I always do is a battery. Yellow Top Optima. I leave a Kenwood UHF radio on constantly and have never had a YT die, only factory batteries. Expensive (about $150+) but worth it if you are solo and/or with nobody to jump your battery. Buys peace of mind, too.

Suggest this thread to friends: