I can't find the rear ABS sensor on my 99 (I looked on the pumpkin) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I can't find the rear ABS sensor on my 99 (I looked on the pumpkin)

Zack1978

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
HI everyone,
The rear ABS sensor is most likely staring me in the face, however I can't seem to find it? I looked all over the rear pumpkin to no avail. Does anyone have a picture of the sensor as to where it is located? Also how difficult is it to change the sensor?

Thanks,
Zack

it's on the top of the pumpkin, with the wires hooked up to it,, if there are no wires, i would guess that is why you are getting an abs light, and probably no speedometer as well ,
there should be 1 bolt holding it in place,through a small tab on the sensor,,

HI everyone,
The rear ABS sensor is most likely staring me in the face, however I can't seem to find it? I looked all over the rear pumpkin to no avail. Does anyone have a picture of the sensor as to where it is located? Also how difficult is it to change the sensor?

Thanks,
Zack

I do not have a picture but it's easy to fine & replace. Look on the top of the 3rd member just above the drive shaft. There is a small self locking bolt (mine on my 99 xlt has it) Just remove the bolt and twist and pull at the same time clock-wise then counter-clock-wise. It should just pop right out. Careful not to dislodge dirt n stuff into the hole after the sensor is removed. The sensor is about 3/4 inch wide. The connector is easy to access after removing the sensor.

This is a lot easier to do on a rack lift, but I did mine by crawling under it.

Cheers!

Rick

Back