|EF Swag Store||2015 Ford Explorer||Forums||Elite Membership||Chat Room||My Posts||Reviews||Explorer Photo Gallery|
|Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35|
|11-26-2011, 04:32 AM||#1|
Wannabe Elite Explorer
2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Join Date: Nov 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O/D Light Blinking, Check Transmission in Message Center
I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer with 204,000 miles. All freeway miles except for occasionally pulling a single axle trailer with < 1000 pounds on it.
The only parts changed so far are tires, alternator, and all 4 axle bearings. This is a great truck/car.
Last week, the O/D light started blinking and the message center said "Check Transmission". Here are the steps to reproduce:
1) Turn on key (no blinking light, no message)
2) Start car, put in any gear. Still no light or message
3) Put in drive - and drive ! Still no light or message
4) Drive around 4 to 10 miles at any speed - Light will blink, message appears
5) Stop. Start driving and count the shift (there should be 5)
6) All 5 shifts occur where they always have. No slipping.
7) At speed (in gear "5" - I know it is not a "gear") push the O/D button on shift lever - car "downshifts" (higher RPMs). Push button again, car "upshifts" just like it always has.
8) For remainder of drive, O/D light blinks. Message center resets and message does not come back.
9) Turn car off. Restart car, no message.
Any comments would be appreciated. The car has slowly gone from 21 MPG down to around 19 over the last 2 years, but other than that it does the 100 mile round trip perfectly. No weird tire wear, no unusual noises, no difference in shifting. I have never changed the transmission fluid, because my previous 6 Explorers have not responded well to fluid and filter on the tranny. Regular maintenance is done on all other parts without issue.
|( Join the Elite Explorers )|
For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.
|Suggest this thread to friends:|
|o/d, overdrive, transmission|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Gerald Jarrett - Simpsonville, SC 2nd gen offroad||GJarrett||Explorer Registry||74||12-25-2009 12:26 PM|
|Explorer Auto Transmission Diagnosis - Q & A FAQ||Glacier991||Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials||30||08-10-2009 11:05 PM|
|Paul Newman has passed...||Tbars4||Exploring every thing under the sun!!||11||09-28-2008 10:20 PM|
|GDP going up...||Explorer#2||Exploring every thing under the sun!!||7||06-02-2008 09:04 AM|
|Moab 2004 Registration, Itinerary, and Trail Guide||GJarrett||Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion||2||03-01-2004 09:18 AM|