1997 Ford Explorer XLT AWD Missing Front Drive Shaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer XLT AWD Missing Front Drive Shaft

davidtbaron

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok here is the thing i bought this truck about a year ago and just yesterday noticed the front drive shaft was missing. I have no idea how i missed that when i bought the truck i guess because it ran and drove perfect and had no leaks i just assumed everything was good and it was a great price lol. I have driven this truck for one year without a front driveshaft. Has always driven great on the highway and had no problems. Is it possible by doing this that in the future i could have some transmission trouble? At this point i Don't know if i should find a shaft and install it. i have no need for 4wd.

What would you do?

Any comments appreciated :)
Thanks

You wont have transmission issues. More than likely though your transfer case is shot and wont work once you decide to get a front drive shaft (assuming you have the V8). If you have a V6 it's not true AWD so just get a new drive shaft.

The truck can roll away in park if there is no front driveshaft, btw... I would put one in. But yeah- most likely the transfercase would have been hurt which is probably the reason they took it out in the first place. They are not all the same from 1995-2001/by engine/trans, so make sure you get the correct one if you're going to replace it.

Thanks Guys for the quick reply. i will prob try to find a drive shaft but as long as trans won't be damaged i will wait until i have more money. Especially since the transfer case may be damaged. For now i will stick with my 2WD lol As far as rolling away in park. When i am parked on a steep incline the truck does roll back but over a long period of time. when i first got the truck i parked in my driveway which is pretty steep and came back out 2 hours later moved about 3 feet back. Emergency brake needs new shoes. I also went to auto parts store and bought these plastic wheel stops for like 5 bucks lol they haven't failed me yet even on steep hills. I have been using them for a year now. Other than that truck runs and drives great only 140,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the feedback guys i appreciate it :)

Back