Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Fuel Pump Relay, Power Dist. Box, '99

Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
tclear4
Seattle
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US Fuel Pump Relay, Power Dist. Box, '99

Hi everyone,

1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC 134k miles

I've been having fuel pump issues of late, but it does not appear to be the fuel pump itself, as the problem is intermittant. It will occasionally turn over but not start (fuel pump silent), but it when it does, it runs flawlessly.

I've been told it may be the Fuel Pump Relay in the Power distribution box by the dealer. I've read that this lies in the #5 position within it. However this position has a narrower relay in it than the one given in the auto parts store. When I found the relay that matched it and replaced it, they said it was the Fuel Injection relay.

There are two relays that match the size given at the parts store, but these are listed as the PCM and Starter.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Here's the diagram sticky
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=180814
tclear4 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
JusTheFaxMaam
Brandon, FL
'01 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can swap the relay temporarily with another one in the box (I think the horn relay was the same type) I did this to test my fuel pump relay, since I seem to be having the EXACT same symptoms as you. In my case the relay didn't seem to help at all, still the same (and seems like it's doing it more often as time goes on)

Mine is a '01 xlt 4.0 SOHC
JusTheFaxMaam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, power distribution, pump, relay