2005 Explorer Transmission Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Transmission Problems

bbowers

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
2005 4-door 4x4 Explorer
117,000 miles

My Explorer got stuck in PARK. It was stuck so bad that I thought I was going to break off the lever trying to move it from left to right into gear.

To make a long story short, it turns out that it might not in the gear that was indicated. When it was in THIRD gear I think it was really in DRIVE. And when it indicated it was DRIVE I think it might have been in NEUTRAL. I finally drove home in THIRD which I think was DRIVE.

Park / Reverse / Neutral / Drive / 3 / 2 / 1

Put another way, when the indicator was pointing at "3" I think it was actually in "Drive." Sorry, but I'm no car guy.

I've never had transmission problems with this Explorer before until 3 months ago when the half-case had to be replaced on September 30 after it developed a small leak.

The transmission guy who replaced the half-case told me that my particular transmission went out in 80% of the 2002-2005 Explorers that he saw. He said it's the kind that doesn't have a dip stick. He said that he was so sure that it would go out that he recommended I trade it in--only because it was a 2005. (Others in this forum have agreed with the transmission guy.)

Could he have done something--intentionally OR accidentally--to have cause the problem that occurred today? I don't want to sound paranoid but I find it a bit suspicious that I'm now having trouble again with the transmission less than 3 months after he replaced the half-case.

I need help and don't know what to do. I'll appreciate all comments.

Thanks.

Bill
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could he have done something--intentionally OR accidentally--to have cause the problem that occurred today? I don't want to sound paranoid but I find it a bit suspicious that I'm now having trouble again with the transmission less than 3 months after he replaced the half-case.

I need help and don't know what to do. I'll appreciate all comments.

Thanks.

Bill
:usa:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I can't really help you with what is wrong with your transmission shift issues, but from having dealt with a shady transmission shop owner myself for nearly 3 weeks of repair time after I bought my current Explorer last January, I would say it is possible that a tranny shop owner could have "intentionally" tampered with your vehicle so that something else goes wrong with it in the near future just to ensure repeat business from you. You don't like to think a repair shop would do that to you, tamper with your vehicle, but we (car owners) have no idea what they really do to our vehicles once we drop them off at their shops and go home out of sight for days on end. All it would take is for them to loosen something up that will work itself bad a short time later. You would never know they did this. If you don't trust the tranny shop that did the work on your Explorer, take it to another shop and let them diagnose it. Some shops do free diagnosing. If you don't know the shop owner really well, your kind of at their mercy in the beginning.

In my case, this transmission shop owner tampered with the counter balance weights on either my torque converter or flywheel causing what feels like a "rough idle" condition in the vehicle that won't set off any CEL codes. This shake wasn't there in the vehicle prior to this tranny shop getting my vehicle to work on and I had 2 different repair shops do diagnostics on the engine after the first and second rebuilt transmissions were installed by this tranny shop and they found nothing wrong with the engine and both said it was most likely a balance issue in the torque converter or flywheel. I'm still driving it that way, my mechanic said the shake won't harm anything and you only notice it when you sit idling. If I had an extra $1500-$2000 laying around to have another tranny shop remove and replace my current transmission and prove the balance problem, I would do it, but I don't have that kind of money to throw away on a hunch. If this current rebuilt tranny takes a dump in the near future, then I'll get my answer on the balance issue and I'll be paying this tranny shop owner an un-friendly visit to his shop. There is a lot more to my story and what transpired between the dealership, the tranny shop onwer and myself, but I know the tranny shop owner intentionally put that rough shake in my vehicle. None of the tranny repairs cost me any money, just lots of aggravation, and I forced the dealership to pay for the rebuilt tranny by threatening to sue them using the Lemon Law. Good luck with your tranny problem.

Thanks for you comments. Not only do I not know the shop owner well, I went away from the half-case replacement job feeling distrustful of the owner. He repeatedly berated his mechanic in front of me for things that he shouldn't have been critical of in the first place. Then his other employee walked by and he berated him too with me standing there. I don't know if I could or should trust anybody who has such little respect for their employees.

In addition, the price of the half-case job went up each time he called me, after of course, he already had started the job.

If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear them. I don't know what to do besides take it to another transmission shop and just hope they do me right.

Any suggestions out there?

I'd take it someplace else and get it looked at ASAP. It is probably just a cable out of adjustment. If it's one spot off like that then when you think you are in Park you are really in reverse and that can end bad for you and people around you.

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm going to do. Thanks.

. Not only do I not know the shop owner well, I went away from the half-case replacement job feeling distrustful of the owner. He repeatedly berated his mechanic in front of me for things that he shouldn't have been critical of in the first place. Then his other employee walked by and he berated him too with me standing there. I don't know if I could or should trust anybody who has such little respect for their employees.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah he shouldn't yell at his employees in front of customers but repair shops are generally places where rough language is used, mostly by the mechanics working there. IF the owner had to yell at them that way, makes you wonder if they weren't very knowledgable tranny mechanics in the first place, so what kind of a repair job did you get from them? Know what I mean?

>>>>>>>>>In addition, the price of the half-case job went up each time he called me, after of course, he already had started the job.<<<<<<<<

Thats BS! I would be skeptical of this guy also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I don't know what to do besides take it to another transmission shop and just hope they do me right.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats about all you can do, your stuck. I know the scum bag tranny shop owner I had to deal with will never get any future business out of me and I've told as many people as I could to stay clear of his shop. Same goes for the dealership I bought this Ex from. Crooked business people.

Back