Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

'96 Transmission Grinds

Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Caponetta
NJ
1996 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
'96 Transmission Grinds

My 96 ex makes this horrible grinding sound from the trans. It only happens if I put the car in park, leave it running then switch to drive. The grinding lasts about a second and usually happens twice a few seconds apart. So far no issues changing gears, just this disconcerting noise. And ideas on what it could be?
Caponetta is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
dasfinc
97 Explorer 06 Mustang GT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caponetta View Post
My 96 ex makes this horrible grinding sound from the trans. It only happens if I put the car in park, leave it running then switch to drive. The grinding lasts about a second and usually happens twice a few seconds apart. So far no issues changing gears, just this disconcerting noise. And ideas on what it could be?
Something that probably involves the transmission being removed from the vehicle...

Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Caponetta
NJ
1996 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfinc View Post
Something that probably involves the transmission being removed from the vehicle...
That wasn't condescending.. Obviously removing it is involved, seeing if anyone is familiar with the issue.
Caponetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
dasfinc
97 Explorer 06 Mustang GT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caponetta View Post
That wasn't condescending.. Obviously removing it is involved, seeing if anyone is familiar with the issue.
There is no point in trying to diagnose something like that if the transmission has to come out, and be pulled apart anyways...

I've personally never seen a 5R55E or 4R70W Automatic make grinding sounds prior to failure. Slipping, slamming, lurching, surging, etc, but grinding sounds are more common to brake/differential problems.

Does it make this grinding sound after you go from park to drive even if you keep your foot on the brake? If it does, you've confirmed it is almost certianly a transmission noise, and which case there is probably some form of bearing or clutch pack failure occuring internally.

You need to include as many details as possible also in posts like these, that's why I was condesending.

I have no idea what your truck is (sport, or 4 door), what motor it has (4.0 OHC/OHV or 5.0), or what transmission it is...

I am also unsure what circumstance this sound occurs except for when you go from park to drive it briefly makes this sound (As in only while in the truck is in motion, or even while stationary), and you are stating there are no other symptoms.

Has the transmission ever been serviced? every been replaced? how many miles are on the truck? etc etc?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
95LimtedExplorer
Oregon
'95 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Speaking of trans problems... I have a 4r55e that after warming up, when slowing down to 15mph, 1st gear drops out partially. If I brake torque it or shift into 2nd or 1st then back into drive it regains 1st gear. Transmission has 168k miles on it and has had only one fluid change.
95LimtedExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: