|EF Swag Store||2013 Ford Explorer||Forums||Elite Membership||Chat Room||My Posts||Reviews||Explorer Photo Gallery|
|Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.|
|12-14-2011, 01:07 AM||#1|
Wannabe Elite Explorer
Los Angeles, California
96 XLT 2WD AUTOMATIC
Join Date: Oct 2006
96 Explorer 4.0 OHV V6 suddenly dies- changed relays
I have a 96 Explorer 4.0 OHV V6, 170,000 miles, that has twice suddenly died at random times when driving on surface streets the last 2 weeks. Truck died on me today after driving half a block. Engine just suddenly cut out, quit, would not immediately re-start, starter cranked fine, no problem. No DTC codes being thrown at all when checked.
I opened the hood, opened up the under hood fuse box, swapped the relays for the fuel pump & the PCM and the truck started right up.
I bought a new set of relays at Ford as they were all 16 years old and relays are mechanical switches / contacts that wear out over time and usually do it when it is extremely cold or hot.
That COULD possibly mean problem solved. Will have to drive truck tomorrow again.
But there are the following maintenance issues I have to do the next 2 weeks:
1. Truck does have issues with upper & lower intake manifold gaskets leaking, losing coolant through a leak at the front above spark plug hole #4 and at the rear of the engine, passenger side, dripping on the exhaust manifold.
2. the valve cover gaskets are leaking, oil dripping into spark plug holes. i have new FelPro gaskets for them.
3. a rough idle at start after sitting overnight that smooths out after a minute. I am getting ready to replace with all new OEM Ford upper & lower intake manifold gaskets, along with a set of 6 new Bosch fuel injectors and a new OEM Ford fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.
4. For regular maintenance, I have in the last month installed all new Motorcraft iridium plugs, all new Ford spark plug wires, new serpentine belt, tensioner, fan clutch & OEM Ford fan and 3 new O2 sensors, and a NOS oem Ford coil pack, and a new water temp sensor for the PCM (Powertrain Control Module- the computer that controls the engine & automatic trannie.) as they all had 170k miles on them.
5. All engine management sensors have been changed gradually over the last five years as they have slowly failed.
6. Oil change with filter, cleaned the MAF sensor with Radio Shack electronic parts cleaner, no residue.
Truck is 2WD, with a recently rebuilt automatic.
I'll post how it all sorts out. I know the intake manifold gaskets, new fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator & valve cover gaskets will make my engine -- and me very happy-
|Suggest this thread to friends:|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Explorer 4.0 OHV - system too lean banks 1 & 2 Please HELP!!!||stikz||Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers||16||03-13-2013 08:13 AM|
|Eddie Bauer Question||erixon||Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers||9||09-08-2009 11:43 PM|
|97 4.0 Ranger Engine, in a 96 4.0 Eddie Explorer?||pclarke1||Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers||2||04-10-2008 06:43 AM|
|Will this work 96 4.0 OHV EX motor to 2000 4.0 OHV?||Ranger Al||Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum||3||06-12-2005 12:22 PM|