Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Would a bad O2 sensor cause a misfire, rough idle, and power loss?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
metal4life
Idaho
1996 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Would a bad O2 sensor cause a misfire, rough idle, and power loss?

Hello everybody, I'm new to this site as I just bought an old '96 and need some advice/suggestions...she's got a ton of miles, and an engine rebuild is definitely in her future next summer, but for now, I have a few DTCs that stand in the way of a decently smooth running engine.

When I bought it, it had 197,000 miles on the old OHV 4.0. But the previous owner DEFINITELY took care of it as the engine bay is spotless and mostly mechanically sound. Anyways, I was told it had failed emissions test and that codes P0133 and P0304 were responsible...ok...I drove it home and it definitely runs rough and noisy at highway RPM, and noticeably down on power(I think). It's also stalled a few times at lights when I'd slow down and disengage the clutch...

I recently took it to Autozone to scan it myself as a project baseline so to speak, and suddenly the misfire code was gone, and it just said bank 1 was running lean....ok...I took it back today and plugged it in, and it just says that O2 sensor 1, bank 1 code again, nothing else.

So I'm gonna pull that sensor anyway, but my question is, would a bad O2 sensor cause a misfire code? As well as that kind of effect on the engine? The prior owner said all the plugs and wires had been replaced to no effect...however she did mention that she happened to get some bad gas in it at one point, though I personally don't think it's related...

Or is perhaps the misfire the true cause and the sensor was the first component to rat it out? Seems unlikely since the misfire code is gone now...

I'm also going to try and clean/replace the MAF sensor as I've read it is a common cause of issues...but I'd love to get some expertise on this from someone who's had similar problems...
metal4life is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
my98nnj
Boonton, New Jersey
1998 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
There's really no such animal as bad gas, more of a myth.
The o2 issue will not cause a misfire, bad MPG yes.
The lean issue could be an intake leak.
When was the last tune up?

The misfire could be either spark or fuel related.
Injector failing, bad spark plug, wire, coil.
my98nnj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
4X4RACER88
PENNSYLVANIA
91 FORD RANGER

Vehicle Specs

your getting the o2 sensor code with the lean code becuase you have a vacuum leak. probably needs intake gaskets. its common on them and they are easy to replace
4X4RACER88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
metal4life
Idaho
1996 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
When I get time, I'm gonna give it a once over myself, and plugs/wires are the first things I'm gonna check, then gonna test compression while I got the plugs out, test the coil/voltage, I really don't know much about fuel injectors and I'm not really tryin to tear into this motor till next summer when I have the money and warmer weather to sit outside n tinker...

Another question, when I do go to rebuild it, is there a way to bump up the compression a little bit? I'm thinkin just maybe 9.5:1 to the stock 9:1...just as much as I can without causing big headaches...I'm probably going to get a chip, CAI, exhaust system, headers(maybe), and whatever other little improvements I can think of...
Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
metal4life
Idaho
1996 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
So I replaced the O2 sensor yesterday, cleared the codes, then the P0304 misfire code came up again though it took 2 days of driving...however, this morning it wouldn't start, I don't believe there's any fuel in the engine. I took off the braided fuel supply line right next to injector #1 and the plastic intake runners and it was dry, I don't know if there's only pressure when it's running or what but after several attempts I couldn't get fuel to flow, or even smell it. Could a fuel system problem cause the misfire maybe? How can I test the pump?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
SoNic67
Newport News, VA
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
With the key in "ON" position (even with engine not running) you should have full pressure on that line. Switch a few times between ON and OFF.
Check the Fuel pump Cut-Off (passanger side by the kick panel).
Check the fuel filter (driver side, on frame under door location).
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: