Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

'96 Explorer electric 4WD not working

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
RubberneckSeth
Anchorage, Alaska
'96 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Roll '96 Explorer electric 4WD not working

I have an explorer with electric 4WD and auto-locking hubs. When switching to 4WD, whether High or Low, the dummy light on the dash comes on, but the front axle never gets power.

The engine turns the front drive shaft whether in 2WD or 4WD, but the axle doesn't get power. From this observation, I assume that the 4WD engages in the front diff. Is this correct? Should the front drive shaft be getting power in 2WD, or is there a transfer case between it and the transmission that should disengage it?

I don't know much about 4WD front ends yet, but the dummy light suggests that the electric motor that engages 4WD is doing its part.
RubberneckSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
mr_valingo
rhinelander, wi
'95 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does the switch on the dash say 2hi 4auto 4low? If so in auto the front axle should lock while the transfer case only sends power when the rear wheels slip. Click it in auto and climb under and try to spin the front shaft. With the front tires on the ground the shaft should not spin, if it does the axle is not locking in. To check the transfer case you can drop the front shaft and try to spin the yoke will the truck is in 4low. Again if it spins you have a problem

Custom winch bumper, xcr10 comp winch, tt, xl rear shocks, roof light bar, hella 500ff's, flowmaster 40, diehard platinum, 1354manual, 3" body lift, 31" retreads, air horns, and dual pink carseats dad tested, kid approved
mr_valingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Beargap
Bear Gap, PA
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberneckSeth View Post
I have an explorer with electric 4WD and auto-locking hubs. When switching to 4WD, whether High or Low, the dummy light on the dash comes on, but the front axle never gets power.

The engine turns the front drive shaft whether in 2WD or 4WD, but the axle doesn't get power. From this observation, I assume that the 4WD engages in the front diff. Is this correct? Should the front drive shaft be getting power in 2WD, or is there a transfer case between it and the transmission that should disengage it?

I don't know much about 4WD front ends yet, but the dummy light suggests that the electric motor that engages 4WD is doing its part.
As I recall the 96 had a front axle disconnect inside the front diff and is powered by a vacuum line. That line getting broken is a typical problem and what I'd expect is wrong with yours.

=Vic=

Last edited by Beargap; 12-29-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Beargap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
RubberneckSeth
Anchorage, Alaska
'96 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thanks a lot for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_valingo View Post
Does the switch on the dash say 2hi 4auto 4low? If so in auto the front axle should lock while the transfer case only sends power when the rear wheels slip. Click it in auto and climb under and try to spin the front shaft. With the front tires on the ground the shaft should not spin, if it does the axle is not locking in. To check the transfer case you can drop the front shaft and try to spin the yoke will the truck is in 4low. Again if it spins you have a problem
Mr. Valingo: Yes, the switch says 2Hi, 4 Auto, 4 Low. Indeed, I can turn the front shaft while it is in 2WD, but not in 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargap View Post
As I recall the 96 had a front axle disconnect inside the front diff and is powered by a vacuum line. That line getting broken is a typical problem and what I'd expect is wrong with yours.

=Vic=
Beargap: I found a post describing a similar issue where vacuum lines come into play - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=231882 - The problem is that I am just not sure what I am looking for. I found a few lines of metal tubing running down into the axle in a few places. Can you give me an idea of where to look or which of these it might be? Also, how does one troubeshoot a vacuum line?

Thanks a lot to both of you for your comments.
RubberneckSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
mr_valingo
rhinelander, wi
'95 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you can't spin the shaft with the switch in the auto position then the cad is working. You can try the brown wire mod which will allow you to "lock" in the transfer case giving you 4hi. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=149388 if your front tires still aren't getting power then its probably time for a new transfer case

Custom winch bumper, xcr10 comp winch, tt, xl rear shocks, roof light bar, hella 500ff's, flowmaster 40, diehard platinum, 1354manual, 3" body lift, 31" retreads, air horns, and dual pink carseats dad tested, kid approved
mr_valingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Beargap
Bear Gap, PA
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberneckSeth View Post
Thanks a lot for your input.

Mr. Valingo: Yes, the switch says 2Hi, 4 Auto, 4 Low. Indeed, I can turn the front shaft while it is in 2WD, but not in 4.

Beargap: I found a post describing a similar issue where vacuum lines come into play - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=231882 - The problem is that I am just not sure what I am looking for. I found a few lines of metal tubing running down into the axle in a few places. Can you give me an idea of where to look or which of these it might be? Also, how does one troubeshoot a vacuum line?

Thanks a lot to both of you for your comments.
I have a '97, so I can't really tell you much about that beyond what the other posts said. That vacuum disconnect was a problem with GM SUV's too, and there was a kit that replaced it with a cable attached to a pull handle under the dash so you could manually lock the front axle by pulling the handle. Ford wisely dropped that entire mechanism in '97 and let the axle stay connected and run in 4WD Auto as the default position, which also allowed locking the transfer case in 4WD-Hi as well as 4WD-Lo.

=Vic=
Beargap is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
4 wheel drive, 4wd, auto-locking hubs, differential, transfer case