Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Transmission lunge

Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
The Yellow One
Federalsburg MD
1992 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
yellow Transmission lunge

I searched for help with this but no luck.

I am gonna say over the last couple of days I have noticed my EX kinda of lunging when I put it in drive and start moving. It clears up pretty quick but I am worried it might be the beginning of something major. I will check the trans fluid and add that bit of info to my post on my next log in.
The Yellow One is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
wood1
North of Edmonton
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Fluid level is extremely important. So is regular maintenance. New fluid and filter regularly and the installation of a (relatively cheap) in line filter can save you a lot of trouble.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=161337

In the end, fluid and new filter, adjust the bands and that may clear things up. If not you may have bigger issues.

List of useful TTB Threads
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
The Yellow One
Federalsburg MD
1992 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
yellow

Thanks Wood1 I checked the fluid level and it is a little low. My question now is, my dipstick only says "Mercon". Not III or V so is there a regular Mercon or is that the same as Mercon III?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
wood1
North of Edmonton
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't think you can buy Mercon anymore, the synthetic V is good.

List of useful TTB Threads
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
The Yellow One
Federalsburg MD
1992 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I added the fluid and it has fixed the problem. Only time it acts up now is if I am at a long red light or hold the brake for an extended period of time. Then it starts to push and force the truck forward. I am going to check the fluid in the morning after I get packed up and head home.

Suggest this thread to friends: