Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hank said:
Hey, just fyi on this. I tried a small cartrige filter on my PS pump and after about two weeks it clogged up and exploded all over the engine compartment. Think there are some details on this very early in the thread.

Never tried it again.
Hank
The only kind of P/S filters that I've used were the small orange disks with the fittings coming out of the sides. I think they are made by Ark, or Moog. I've installed them in other people's cars too without any problems. I've never used the one in that picture from Ford.

Here is an internal view of the inline Ford filter:
mps200.jpg

I installed mine last December ... just before a snowstorm. I mounted a bracket to the drivers side frame and the kit to that. It hangs straight but you can't tell from the pic .. I took it at an angle. I paint the filter flat black so it's not so noticeable from the front. I still haven't installed the gauge ... I haven't decided where I want it.
I hope this gives you some ideas.

Transfilter001.jpg

The filter mounted on frame.

Transfilter002.jpg

The bracket I made to mount the kit to the frame.

secondary filter finally on-now some advice

So before I go on, let me say that I did read this entire post (all 21 pages of it) twice. So if the answer is in there, I missed it. So here it goes. Does anyone know which transmission line is the output line from the pan on a 2003 Explorer? THe reason I ask is because I tested it, and found that it was the bottom line, so I hooked the secondary filter up that way. I finished the setup, added some fluid and turned the vehicle on. Let it run for a long while, checking for leaks. Couldn't find any, so I took a ride around the block. Still nothing in terms of leaks and seemed to be shifting smoother (could be my imagination, or the increase in fluid capacity). So I went for a ride where I was flooring it more and shifting more frequently. All went well and nothing seemed wrong. Went to check the filter, it wasn't hot or really even warm. Seemed odd since everyone on here says that is the way to tell if fluid is flowing. Now, it was only 45 degrees and raining when I went for a drive and the shifting was fantastic. Did I hook it up correctly? Is the bottom transmission line, from the pan, the output line? I'm just nervous that I did it wrong. I don't see how, but still nervous. I used the Fram shortie filter. (I know, I know, they are crap, going to get a different brand later). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if it was hooked up wrong, you wouldnt be moving :D

I would also like to add some advice:

If you hook up the temp sender on it, protect the wiring. mine is exposed. While traveling across the state a week ago water must have froze on it and connected the terminals. This led to a reading of 250+ degrees. There was a moment of panic and I figured that couldn't be happening since it was in the teens and I wasn't being hard on it. So I continued to drive.

After it thawed it went back to normal.

It does take quite a while for the fluid to warm up. My trans temp guage doesn't start to go up till after about 5 miles.
Egullsfan, I assume you've figured out it's hooked up right by now....:D

yeah, either I have it hooked up right or I have the only transmission in the world that can operate for over 100 miles without fluid. I sure love this forum. I never would have done the secondary filter without it, and the transmission seems to be loving the added filter. Thanks guys

Well, the filter has been on for EXACTLY 2 years now, so I replaced it today.
I'll be cutting the old one apart at work on Tuesday so I can see how much gunk is trapped inside it.
I should have pics posted by Fri......:D

You've had the same filter on for 2 years? Wow, isnt it supposed to be replaced everytime you change your oil?

You've had the same filter on for 2 years? Wow, isnt it supposed to be replaced everytime you change your oil?

No, that would be a major waste.

I run mine for a year and after cutting it open, it looks like new still.

I"ve been doing once a year as well. Which reminds me, its about time. Thanks!

Got er' cut open!

Filter's been on for 2 years, but only about 16500 miles have gone on the vehicle in that time (at $4.50 a gallon, I don't drive my F-150 all that much).

Pics show:
Last few ounces of oil drained into clear bottle-bottom, note a bit of sediment in dimples.
http://forums.fordpower.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=6222&d=1174438211
Very little sediment in bottom of can.
http://forums.fordpower.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=6223&d=1174438211
Clean-looking filter pleats unfolded.
http://forums.fordpower.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=6225&d=1174438211

Pics aren't very good, but you get the idea.

Sorry.....
This site won't let me post the pics.:thumbdwn:
E-mail me if you want me to send them to you...:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back