Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Aerostar Tech Forum > Aerostar Forum

Notices

Aerostar Forum The Ford Aerostar shares a lot of common parts with the Ford Explorer. Besides that a lot of our members own an Aerostar and an Explorer.

What's the difference between Mercon and Mercon V transmission fluid?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
speleopower
cocoa bch
1997 Aerostar

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question What's the difference between Mercon and Mercon V transmission fluid?

Recently I did a trans fluid change along with a new filter.
I've been changing the trans fluid every summer for quite a few years.
Immediately after changing the fluid this time my van started coming out of drive for a couple seconds. The engine will rev up if I give it gas like it is in neutral. A second later the transmission catches and away I go. This only happens one time after starting up and driving in the morning when the van is cold. It can happen again after the van sits all day at work.

What I just realized it I have a 1997 with and automatic transmission and it is supposed to get Mercon V. I checked the ATF fluid bottles I got and I was sold Mercon not Mercon V.

What is the difference between Mercon and Mercon V. I'm planning on draining my transmission and replacing it with Mercon V tomorrow.

Thanks-Scott
speleopower is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
You could add a friction modifier instead of draining the fluid. Lubegard makes one for this purpose. You could keep the fluid in there with the additive, but in the future always remember to use Mercon V ATF.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
speleopower
cocoa bch
1997 Aerostar

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Ok thanks. In super simple terms Mercon is more slippy than Mercon V.
I changed out the trans oil/filter yesterday to Mercon V.
Hopefully it wont' slip out of gear anymore.
-Scott
speleopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
corkey
Moderator Emeritus
Elite Canuck,

96xl,99xls,old Rangers

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
mercon is real trans fluid,

mercon v is synthetic,,

it calls for synthetic as it has the lubricity and friction qualities required by the auto trans ,,
like slipping or gripping clutches,,

also look for Blues Traveller Elite registry, ,
corkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: