Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

door lock wiring diagram

Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
lynnie
South Australia, Australia
Ford explorer 1998

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
door lock wiring diagram

hi i was wondering if anyone has the door lock wiring diagram for my Ford explorer 1998, i dont have remote door locking so i bought one of those bulldog units and im going to try and put it in myself.
lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
asafley
Elite Explorer
Pikes Peak Region, Colorado
'97 XLT - 4.0L SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am assuming that you have at least power locks. Horizontal button on the front driver and passenger side doors to unlock and lock. If so, I believe you can go through the RAP module to control the door locks from your Bulldog module.

Here is a website for the RAP module. It has pinouts and the locations of all the wires you should need.

http://mysite.verizon.net/respkm62/v...orer/id33.html

1997 Ford Explorer XLT - Rebuilt 4.0L SOHC - RP Caster Supercharger Kit - 2.8" Supercharger Pulley - Methanol Injection - 2.5" Custom Magnaflow Exhaust Side swept on both sides - JBA Performance Headers - Brown Wire Mod - Interior LED Conversion (Blue Gauges) - Viper 5901 Remote Starter - TT, AAL, 3" Body Lift

2013 Nissan Sentra SV - Daily Driver
asafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

You will be successful going directly from the bulldog module to the lock/unlock relays in the rear quarter panel. There is also room there for the module / power close by. even though the instructions with the module say DON'T use "punch / fork type" connectors to connect to the existing wire (thru the insulation).... they worked fine for me.... :-)
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
lynnie
Ford explorer 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Smile

Thanks guys ill give it a go :-)
Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
lynnie
Ford explorer 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ok its not a bulldog one its a universal one and it didnt come with instructions :-( so i need to know where the central control lock wires are
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
asafley
Elite Explorer
'97 XLT - 4.0L SOHC

Vehicle Specs

The RAP module is the part that controls the door locks and even has the factory alarm disarm wire too. In my earlier post I have provided the pinout of the RAP module.

The RAP module behind the left rear quarter panel. There is a door with two twist locks. This is the same compartment that has the factory bottle jack. Here is a link that describes where the module is at.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ght=rap+module

1997 Ford Explorer XLT - Rebuilt 4.0L SOHC - RP Caster Supercharger Kit - 2.8" Supercharger Pulley - Methanol Injection - 2.5" Custom Magnaflow Exhaust Side swept on both sides - JBA Performance Headers - Brown Wire Mod - Interior LED Conversion (Blue Gauges) - Viper 5901 Remote Starter - TT, AAL, 3" Body Lift

Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
lynnie
Ford explorer 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
hi its says 1995 ford explorer mine is a 1998 is it still the same?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
lynnie
Ford explorer 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
sorry i think ive got yous confused, i dont have the keypad entry its a key entry the thing i bought that im trying to install is a remote keyless entry system that apparently you can hook up to the door wires in the car.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
asafley
Elite Explorer
'97 XLT - 4.0L SOHC

Vehicle Specs

The RAP module controls the alarm, remote entry, keyless pad entry, and etc. on the truck. So the RAP module does more than just the keyless pad entry. Do you know if you have the RAP module in the back quarter panel? The 1995 Explorer wiring diagram is very similar minus your 1998 may have the PATS system. But the wiring will be the same. Pink/Yellow is lock and Pink/Light Green is unlock. The reason I refer to the RAP module is it is a lot easier to tap into and avoid mistakes... Otherwise you have to remove the driver side kick panel and fish through the bundle of wires to tap into.

The 12Volt Link for a wiring schematic.
http://www.the12volt.com/request/98explorer.asp

Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
ok its not a bulldog one its a universal one and it didnt come with instructions :-( so i need to know where the central control lock wires are
basically the "sam ting".... there is a wire for the "lock ground action" and wire for the "unlock ground action". the ground is put on as a result of the wireless signal from the remote being received by the "control module". You just need to connect those wires to one in the back quarter panel that run to each of the activation coils in the appropriate relay (ie. lock / unlock).
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
lynnie
Ford explorer 1998

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ok great ive got the RAP module and ive found the wires, do i need to connect positive power and negative earth to get it working if so where are they located?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

perhaps "we" don't understand.... but if you have the FORD RAP module in the quarter panel... you don't need to do any wiring, you just need the keyless remotes (fobs) and program them appropriately... check the "stickie" on this forum.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
bobflood
Elite Explorer
Powder Springs, GA
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Here is a great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info