Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Oil life monitor

Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Fredridge
Los Angeles, CA
2011 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Oil life monitor

Does it just monitor your driving or is there an actual oil sensor?

Had my oil changed last month and the oil change reminder just popped up?

If no actual sensors, can I reset it myself?
Fredridge is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
cnsheets
2011 Explemoner

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was it reset when the oil was changed? Seems a bit soon to go off again.
cnsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Fredridge
Los Angeles, CA
2011 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsheets
Was it reset when the oil was changed? Seems a bit soon to go off again.
I don't know. I am guessing it wasn't, been less than 1000 miles.

So either it wasn't reset or they didn't change the oil.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
cnsheets
2011 Explemoner

Vehicle Specs

Could have changed it and just not reset it. I would just reset it.
cnsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Bill #4 Explorer
Chicago Area
2011 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredridge View Post
Yes. Reset with the controls on the left side LCD screen. You should select something less than 100% when you do the reset since you have driven about 1,000 miles already. I suggest 90%.

I also use the Trip 2 odo to keep track on miles driven on the oil change. After an oil change I make sure the oil life indicator has been reset to 100% and clear the trip 2 screen.

I am running full synthetic and changing at about the 7,000 miles mark. A little early. About 75% expired, or 25% remaining.
Bill #4 Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
RandyH2
Elite Explorer
MI
'11 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Can someone verify that there is actually some sort of monitoring going on rather than a simple mileage-based indicator? Or is there some sort of vehicle use tracking/algorithm for determining oil life expectancy based upon severity of use (dusty, humid, short-trip, etc.)?
RandyH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Quote:
Does it just monitor your driving or is there an actual oil sensor?

Had my oil changed last month and the oil change reminder just popped up?

I believe that it monitors the type of driving you do to determine oil life. I do more short trips than highway type driving and according to another thread I saw on this, my oil life percentage per mileage driven was lower than what others were reporting.
In any case, I continue to change the oil as I always have with my past few vehicles. Every 6 months or 5000 miles, which ever comes first.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
kert0307
Pella, Iowa
'00 Sport and '89 B2

Vehicle Specs

I'm pretty sure it's some algorithm based on type of driving. I find it odd on my wife's edge that you have the option of resetting the oil life to increments of 5 on a percentage of life like 100, 95, 90, ect

05' F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel Clicky tow rig/DD
2011 Ford Edge - Wife's DD
1978 Glastron CVX16 Project Boat
kert0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Does it just monitor your driving or is there an actual oil sensor?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsheets View Post
Could have changed it and just not reset it. I would just reset it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill #4 Explorer View Post
Yes. Reset with the controls on the left side LCD screen. You should select something less than 100% when you do the reset since you have driven about 1,000 miles already. I suggest 90%...
Hey everybody,

Thanks for explaining how to reset the oil life monitor. This is just another example of why this community is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyH2 View Post
Can someone verify that there is actually some sort of monitoring going on rather than a simple mileage-based indicator? Or is there some sort of vehicle use tracking/algorithm for determining oil life expectancy based upon severity of use (dusty, humid, short-trip, etc.)?
The oil life monitor is based off the conditions the engine is driven under. Load, temperature, run time, etc... These all change how the oil breaks down. It all depends on the driving habits.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Last edited by FordService; 01-20-2012 at 02:21 PM.
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Fredridge
Los Angeles, CA
2011 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks, I figured they forgot to reset it, used to happen all the time in my Silverado, but no adjustments - had to just turn the key on and off and floor the gas pedal several times and it reset.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
justjim_pia
2011 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Hey everybody,
The oil life monitor is based off the conditions the engine is driven under. Load, temperature, run time, etc... These all change how the oil breaks down. It all depends on the driving habits.

Cory
Cory - is there a way to tell how many miles are left before the "change oil soon" message appears? I get a little paranoid waiting on the message to appear and it would be great to see the oil life count down on occation.

Best Regards,
Jim
justjim_pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim_pia View Post
Cory - is there a way to tell how many miles are left before the "change oil soon" message appears? I get a little paranoid waiting on the message to appear and it would be great to see the oil life count down on occation.

Best Regards,
Jim
Welcome to the Forum Jim.
I assume Cory is taking a well deserved break today so I'll jump in with my opinion.
As far as I know, there is no way to know exactly how many miles are left before you have to change your oil. The change interval indicated in the book is 10,000 miles or when the monitor tells you. Since the type of driving and the conditions (dusty roads, towing) are taken into account by the computer, the actual interval may be shorter.
Everyone has their own opinion on the intervals and type of oil. I change mine every 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.
If you use the 2nd trip counter as an indicator, you will get an approximation as to when you should get ready to take it in. Just zero it when you have the oil change done.

Peter

Old 07-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
tucker_bmd
2012 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In your manual

Quote:

Best Regards,
Jim
Jim, As Peter replied, your Explorer's computer can not tell you how many "miles" you have left, but it can tell you how much "percent" you have left. That percent is of course assuming your driving style/location doesn't drastically change. You have to hit a few buttons on the left side of the steering wheel to find this info. Your manual tells you exactly how to do this.
tucker_bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
thanks, I figured they forgot to reset it, used to happen all the time in my Silverado, but no adjustments - had to just turn the key on and off and floor the gas pedal several times and it reset.
I’m sorry I missed your reply, Fredridge; I’m glad it was taken care of.

Quote:

Best Regards,
Jim
Jim,

Just like Peter and tucker_bmd mentioned, the oil change interval is tracked in your Explorer’s computer so let’s put the tin foil hat away. LOL JK The following details can be found on page 417 of the 2011MY Explorer Owner Guide 4th Printing:

“For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should perform the engine oil change as indicated by the message center. The message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is needed. The engine oil change service needs to be completed within two weeks or 500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ after each engine oil and filter change; refer to the Instrument Cluster chapter.

If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 miles (8,000 km) from your last oil change.”

For your very own fresh digital copy of the Owner Guide, go here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
I assume Cory is taking a well deserved break today so I'll jump in with my opinion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker_bmd View Post
Jim, As Peter replied, your Explorer's computer can not tell you how many "miles" you have left, but it can tell you how much "percent" you have left...
Peter & tucker_bmd,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help; you rock!

Cory

Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
ExploreThis2012
2012 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
I assume Cory is taking a well deserved break today so I'll jump in with my opinion.
As far as I know, there is no way to know exactly how many miles are left before you have to change your oil. The change interval indicated in the book is 10,000 miles or when the monitor tells you. Since the type of driving and the conditions (dusty roads, towing) are taken into account by the computer, the actual interval may be shorter.
Everyone has their own opinion on the intervals and type of oil. I change mine every 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.
If you use the 2nd trip counter as an indicator, you will get an approximation as to when you should get ready to take it in. Just zero it when you have the oil change done.

Peter
Hi Peter,
I agree with most everything you stated here except the dusty road part. I do not believe the oil change calculation would have any input if you were driving in a "dusty" condition. maybe I missed something. Is there a dust sensor? Thanks for all your contributions to this forum, I've learned a lot from your posts!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreThis2012 View Post
Hi Peter,
I agree with most everything you stated here except the dusty road part. I do not believe the oil change calculation would have any input if you were driving in a "dusty" condition. maybe I missed something. Is there a dust sensor? Thanks for all your contributions to this forum, I've learned a lot from your posts!
I try my best but even then make a 'whoops' every now and then. The 'dusty roads' part got mixed in because of what I read about various conditions affecting oil changes. If the vehicle is driven mainly on gravel or dusty roads, then it is recommended that the oil be changed every 5000 miles or 6 months. Thank for your kind words and I'm glad to help where I can. Even though I've had my Ex for almost 16 months, I'm still learning things. Drive safely.

Peter

Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreThis2012 View Post
Hi Peter,
You’re right, ExploreThis2012; there’s no “dust sensor.” There’s a different maintenance schedule if you operate the vehicle in dusty conditions (such as unpaved or dusty roads). You can find a chart in the 2011MY Explorer Owner Guide 4th Printing on page 431.

See my previous reply (two posts up) for the link to download a free copy of the Owner Guide!

Quote:
I try my best but even then make a 'whoops' every now and then. The 'dusty roads' part got mixed in because of what I read about various conditions affecting oil changes. If the vehicle is driven mainly on gravel or dusty roads, then it is recommended that the oil be changed every 5000 miles or 6 months...
Thanks for all your help, Peter! Cleaning the “dust sensor” is probably just as important as filling the “headlight fluid.” LOL JK

Cory

Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
You’re right, ExploreThis2012; there’s no “dust sensor.” There’s a different maintenance schedule if you operate the vehicle in dusty conditions (such as unpaved or dusty roads). You can find a chart in the 2011MY Explorer Owner Guide 4th Printing on page 431.

Cory
That's not what I told a friend of mine last year. We were driving along on a nice sunny day when the wiper made a single pass. 'Why did it do that?" he asked. I told him that the 'dust sensor' will cause the wiper to come on every now and then to keep the windshield clean.
He was really impressed.
Obviously that was prior to have the random wipe TSB done.

The random wipe happened a couple of times after having the MFT upgrade done but has been okay the last couple of months. I have mentioned it to my dealer and said I would keep an eye on it.

Peter

Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
That's not what I told a friend of mine last year. We were driving along on a nice sunny day when the wiper made a single pass. 'Why did it do that?" he asked. I told him that the 'dust sensor' will cause the wiper to come on every now and then to keep the windshield clean.
He was really impressed.
Obviously that was prior to have the random wipe TSB done. ...
That’s really funny, Peter! Nice job on the quick wit.

Cory

Suggest this thread to friends: