Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Help! 4.0L V6 SOHC Timing chain

Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
staples200

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Help! 4.0L V6 SOHC Timing chain

I have a 2003 ford explorer that I believe has a timing chain failure. Before I knew anything about the issues with the vehicle, I could hear (What I know now was) the timing chain rattle. The vehicle just whimpered out on me one day on the highway over a year ago. I was pissed and just bought a jeep so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I have since rolled the jeep (...LOL) and am wanting to repair the Ford. Here is where I'm at....

I have both valve covers off, Cassettes on both banks seem to be in good condition, taught, with the tentioners and guides in good condition. I cracked the left bank valve cover right on the damn seal, cheap plastic piece of crap. Another 50 bucks added to the project.

When I turn the Balancer clockwise, both Cassettes seem to turn without problem.. It's a bitch to turn, takes all my strength though.. Not sure if thats normal.

After figuring out I had spark and fuel, I had a shop do a compression test last year after the engine failed.. And there were problems with the results, I planned on junking the vehicle and didn't even write down the results. I was sure I would find something wrong with one of the cassettes so I didn't bother going out and buying a new battery to be able to do a compression test before taking it all apart.

So my question is, Where do I go from here? Should I pull the timing cover, Just pull the whole engine? Set the damn thing on fire.. What is the quickest route to find the failed components from here?
staples200 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
jaydez
Hartford County, CT
2005 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the rest of the truck is in good condition, you may want to just pick up a used motor with low milage. It sounds like timing chain skipped and you slapped a piston with the valves.

Turning the motor by hand should NOT take all your strength but should not be easy either.

jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
pull the plugs

The cylinders walls may have rusted after a year of sitting. I suggest that you remove the spark plugs, add some oil into each cylinder and let it soak overnight. After a few rotations the crankshaft should become easier to rotate as the oil loosens the rust. If there is still mechanical resistance the pistons may be striking the valves.

It's too bad you didn't keep the compression results. Low compression on all cylinders on one bank usually means that bank's timing chain has slipped. Low compression on all cylinders may mean the primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain has slipped which is not common. Since you have the valve covers off it is easy to check the camshaft timing. When cylinder #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke both camshafts should have the timing slot below the axis of the camshaft and parallel to the head surface that mates with the valve cover.
Name:  cam1.jpg
Views: 4248
Size:  109.8 KB

Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
vipersinu2
The Big City of Orange City, Florida

97-03 4.0 exp 07 mount v8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
silly question is the truck in neutral when spinning the crank.

if you are going to change timing chains the motor needs to come out.

better off getting a used motor I picked up a 2010 4.0 sohc ranger motor with 2000 miles on it for a 1000 bucks, I could not buy the parts to fix it cheaper than that.

and had it delivered to my house for 200 bucks. you gotta love the internet.
vipersinu2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: