Cam position sensor interchange 98-00 ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cam position sensor interchange 98-00 ohv

partsnserviceguy

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I've checked through many questions and replies...but I don't see a definative answer. I'm putting a 1998 4.0 ohv motor into a 2000 explorer and I'm now faced with a 2 pin connector from the original wiring harness, plugging into a 3 pin connector on the older motor. Cam positiion sensor. Or vise versa..doesn't matter. What I am trying to find out is whether I will have to replace just the top with the connector, or the whole shaft and gear. One person previously suggested that just the top could be "tried", but it didn't sound like anyone knew for sure. Of course, it would be preferable to fix this using just the top part... removing and getting the gear and shaft right sounds like a bit of a challenge. Thanks.

Well, several months later, I now know this answer. The two pin and the three pin styles are totally different. They use a wider tab of metal on top of the three pin synchronizer and just replacing the top button is likely to provide a different type of signal. My motor did start and run okay with only the top button, but gas mileage was poor and drivability problems did develop later as did a tranny problem. I did the valve body gasket change with some help from post here, and that seems to be okay now.

If I would have seen this post in January I would have responded but yes the synchronizer is different from 1998 to 2000.
Simple search on Rock Auto tuned this up.

1998 part # MOTORCRAFT Part # DA2095
2000 part # MOTORCRAFT Part # DA2098

Sorry I didn't see this back then!

Keith

Back