Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"ģ > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer In Vehicle Technology (IVT) Sync, MFT - MyFord Touch

Notices

2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer In Vehicle Technology (IVT) Sync, MFT - MyFord Touch 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer In Vehicle Technology (IVT). Sync, MFT - MyFord Touch issues, and problems, navigation, back up camera, bluetooth, DVD, cell phone, Sony, Sirius, key fob, keyless entry, BLISS, voice commands, etc.

Back Up Camera?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Falcor00
Texas
2012 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Back Up Camera?

When I put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera comes on with the guidelines. I could have sworn that the guidelines moved when I turned the steering wheel on the test drive... mine doesn't since I bought it and don't know if it's a setting that I am missing. Can someone confirm?

Full disclaimer: Could have been one of those lesser comparables I drove and I'm confusing the two. =)
Falcor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Flying68
Wichita, KS
68 F-100, 12 Explorer Ltd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor00 View Post
When I put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera comes on with the guidelines. I could have sworn that the guidelines moved when I turned the steering wheel on the test drive... mine doesn't since I bought it and don't know if it's a setting that I am missing. Can someone confirm?

Full disclaimer: Could have been one of those lesser comparables I drove and I'm confusing the two. =)
You are missing a setting:

From the owners manual:

Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.
Flying68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
jeeden
2011 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Right next to that setting you can also have it "shade in" or fill in the guidlines with blocks of color when your backing up and it senses something.
jeeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
When I put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera comes on with the guidelines. I could have sworn that the guidelines moved when I turned the steering wheel on the test drive...
Falcor00,

I see that this was already covered by Flying68 & jeeden. Keep in mind, you can download a free digital copy of the Owner Guide by going to the URL http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage and choosing 2012 Explorer from the drop down menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying68 View Post
You are missing a setting:

From the owners manual:

Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeden View Post
Right next to that setting you can also have it "shade in" or fill in the guidlines with blocks of color when your backing up and it senses something.
Thanks for helping out guys.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Falcor00
Texas
2012 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Appreciate the help! I own the manual and have read through it once... time to read through it again (or use the index!) Thanks again
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
CDNexp
Toronto, Ontario
Limited 2012

Vehicle Specs

I have a ltd awd and mine dosn't have this in the setting. Is it part of a certain package?
CDNexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
w1kedz
Unregistered
Los Angeles, CA
'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNexp View Post
I have a ltd awd and mine dosn't have this in the setting. Is it part of a certain package?
I think you only get the active guidelines if you have the active park assist feature. I don't understand why the active guidelines wouldn't be standard on all reverse camera equipped vehicles though. I don't have them either. (I have XLT)
w1kedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Falcor00
Texas
2012 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I guess w1kedz is correct? I checked this morning on my way to work and I don't have any option for active park assist. 1) it's not standard? and 2) how is the active park assist included, what package?

Cory, can you help?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNexp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1kedz View Post
I think you only get the active guidelines if you have the active park assist feature...
Quote:
I guess w1kedz is correct? I checked this morning on my way to work and I don't have any option for active park assist. 1) it's not standard? and 2) how is the active park assist included, what package?

Cory, can you help?
CDNexp, w1kedz, & Falcor00,

No, the Active Park Assist isnít standard; itís included with the Limited 302A package on the 2011MY and the Limited 302A & 303A package with the 2012MY.

Cory

Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
w1kedz
Unregistered
Los Angeles, CA
'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
No, the Active Park Assist isnít standard; itís included with the Limited 302A package on the 2011MY and the Limited 302A & 303A package with the 2012MY.
The question is, why aren't the active guides standard with any model that has a backup camera? Is this is a software restriction or is there some something missing hardware-wise? I can't see a reason why the active guides would only be available to people who pay for automatic parking feature, when the guides are more useful to someone manually parking =P
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
The question is, why aren't the active guides standard with any model that has a backup camera? Is this is a software restriction or is there some something missing hardware-wise? I can't see a reason why the active guides would only be available to people who pay for automatic parking feature, when the guides are more useful to someone manually parking =P
w1kedz,

The active guide lines are only available with the active park assist. This is partly because with the extra sensors installed (needed for park assist) it also detects to the side and can verify the area is clear of obstructions in the intended path of travel.

Cory

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
jrmexplorer
Elite Explorer
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
w1kedz,

The active guide lines are only available with the active park assist. This is partly because with the extra sensors installed (needed for park assist) it also detects to the side and can verify the area is clear of obstructions in the intended path of travel.

Cory
I'm guessing what Cory is referring to here is probably something to do with sensors in the steering wheel that detect its position which are used in the active park assist which can be used to tell MFT which direction you are turning the wheel.
jrmexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
w1kedz
Unregistered
Los Angeles, CA
'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmexplorer View Post
I'm guessing what Cory is referring to here is probably something to do with sensors in the steering wheel that detect its position which are used in the active park assist which can be used to tell MFT which direction you are turning the wheel.
Was thinking the same thing! .. the outside sensors should have no affect on curving lines on a screen, but you would need steering wheel position.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmexplorer View Post
Quote:
Was thinking the same thing! .. the outside sensors should have no affect on curving lines on a screen, but you would need steering wheel position.
jrmexplorer & w1kedz,

The steering angle sensor is used with the stability control also, which means itís in every one we make. So itís not the restriction. Itís the sensors that detect objects to the side of the vehicle that are missing.

Cory

Suggest this thread to friends: