Blank radio display 06 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blank radio display 06 Mountaineer

rdlsz24

Reaction score
City, State
Northern IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer V6 AWD
Anybody else had their radio display go out on their 06+ Explorer or Mountaineer with 6 disc changer? I see it was a common problem on the earlier gens, there is even a site dedictated to fixing them (www.shareamemory.com/radio
). I have searched through that site and online and don't see much about the 06+ models having this problem. I emailed the guy from that site and am waiting to hear back if his instructions apply to 06 models as well.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this happen once after a battery replacement and had not driven the vehicle at night. I found out that the installer had turned the dash lights all the way down.

I checked the dimmer control after this first started happening since that is what I thought it was too. But it's set as bright as it will go. The display started not appearing intermittantly and now it has just been gone for a few months. My wife has started bringing it up to me more often now so I need to find some sort of solution.

Rob

I had the similar problem on my 2007 explorer w/ 6cd radio. the display was very dim and finally went out completly. I was able to fix it after finding the youtube video below. you need to re-solder some components on the display. easy to do .

http://youtu.be/3CAdvuenTcc

JDC518

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3CAdvuenTcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

great thanks man, I will have to give that a try. How long has your fix been holding up?

Rob

I have been trying to solve this for several months.
Thanks

So far its been about a month since the repair, still working great.

Now I have to fix the rear defroster tab came off on the Ex

Glad to help out
JDC518

That link was great! I was able to fix my display last night in about 45 minutes. Hardest part was getting the dash back together. But overall a super easy job.

Before with blank display
radio_before.jpg

After with bright display
radio_after.jpg

Thanks again for the link

Rob

Yesterday we did this repair and it did the trick. There were a total of 11 contacts that got resoldered. The board did look like it has been subject to heat. There is no resinous coating covering the board - which made the repair possible but if it was present then maybe this would not have happened in the first place.
Hope it lasts.

Thanks for the info - I missed my display!

It's now a year later and my display still looks great. Anybody else out there with this problem watch the video link above and you can fix it

Rob

when mine goes blank, i can put pressure just above the display (just push on it or tap it a few times) and it will fade back in.

Back