Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"ģ > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

First Oil change 2012 XLT Explorer

Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
jreask
st. louis Mo
2012 XLT Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
First Oil change 2012 XLT Explorer

I just changed the oil for the first time in the 2012 Explorer. It has nearly 1000 miles on the odometer and I always do the first change around 1000 miles. I am using Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic with a Motorcraft fl500S filter. This had to be the EASIEST oil change I have ever done on any vehicle. The engineers made it super easy and very clean. The oil filter is under a plastic "plate" that is some sort of cooling component. It really looks like a plastic skid plate but I saw the instructions saying to replace the shield to maintain proper cooling levels? Anyway, after turning just three thumb screws to remove the shield, the filter is staring you right in the face. How nice is that? Remove the filter and no oil goes anywhere on the engine components, it only flows straight down into the drain container. The oil screw/plug is easy to access also. I think the job could be done in about ten minutes next time now that I know where everything is. Kudos to the FORD engineers on this one. Here are some pics, sorry for the poor quality as I was on my back with an Iphone.

jreask is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Spengracin
Fairfield, Ca
2012 AWD Limited

Vehicle Specs

Cool dyi. Thanks for the pics.

2012 Limited EX. Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, 302a package, bliss, pecan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof rack, Aries Stainlees Nerf bars, upgraded LED interior lighting.
Spengracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is that the oil pan itself in the last picture? Why does it look like it was on fire?!?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
DamonH
Fate, TX
2012 Explorer LTD

Vehicle Specs

As someone who likes to change his own oil as well, glad to see the pics and placement of the filter!

---
DamonH
12 Explorer LTD 302A
DamonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
As someone who likes to change his own oil as well, glad to see the pics and placement of the filter!
Just curious as to how you keep a record of your own oil changes for warranty purposes. Do you keep the receipts?
For $39.95 I prefer to let the dealer do it plus I get a free vehicle wash and coffee as well.
Welcome to the Forum DamonH.

Peter

Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Dan Whitaker
One fast putty tat
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)

No Mounty no more.

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Is that the oil pan itself in the last picture? Why does it look like it was on fire?!?
It looks like the inner fender liner to me.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
aznkidlee
MA
12 Explorer XLT BLK 205A

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
Just curious as to how you keep a record of your own oil changes for warranty purposes. Do you keep the receipts?
For $39.95 I prefer to let the dealer do it plus I get a free vehicle wash and coffee as well.

Peter
The free wash is part of the $39.95 package? At my dealership we have "The Works" for about $29.95 I think and it's just the oil change, tire rotation and inspection.

@Dan Whitaker - Nice pics for DIY. In my older cars that are out of warranty, I always do my own oil changes but since this is a new car. I let Ford do it that way if something goes wrong, it's all on record. I also like the Owner.Ford website where it automatically adds the service history to keep track of everything.

Setina PB400 Pushbar, Tow Hitch, 35% Tint, 5000K HID
aznkidlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkidlee View Post
The free wash is part of the $39.95 package? At my dealership we have "The Works" for about $29.95 I think and it's just the oil change, tire rotation and inspection.

@Dan Whitaker - Nice pics for DIY. In my older cars that are out of warranty, I always do my own oil changes but since this is a new car. I let Ford do it that way if something goes wrong, it's all on record. I also like the Owner.Ford website where it automatically adds the service history to keep track of everything.
No, they wash and dry the vehicle with every service appointment. Also the price I quoted is at a Canadian dealership where, it seems, we always pay more for some services/parts.
I also like to have the dealership do it for that reason and they stamp the Maintenance Log in the Owner's Guide.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
182RG
Winchester, VA
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious as to how you keep a record of your own oil changes for warranty purposes.
Excel spreadsheet plus scanned copies of the receipts for oil and filter. Simple.
182RG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
182RG
Winchester, VA
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
It's a picture of the plastic snorkel for the oil cooler on vehicles equipped with tow package. Picture #1 shows the oil pan.
182RG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
hosedagain

Vehicle Specs

My daughter had a Cavalier and that thing was a bitch to change the oil filter, at the back high up, the filter was sideways so when the filter was removed it would spill oil all over the exhaust. I am sure it was engineered to be difficult so you would take it to the dealer. Her Mazda 3 is easy, up front, straight up, only time consuming was the lower plastic engine cover which needed removing to get to the filter or could cut a hole in the cover where the filter was located.
hosedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182RG View Post
It's a picture of the plastic snorkel for the oil cooler on vehicles equipped with tow package. Picture #1 shows the oil pan.
Ah ok- it looked like a drain plug in the last pic.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
kjdrafting
Mentor OH

Vehicle Specs

Why after 1000?

Why did you change oil after 1000M? IMHO you waste your time and money. Lets start use oil life monitor. That was my 5 cents
kjdrafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
jreask
st. louis Mo
2012 XLT Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Picture number 3 is actually the oil pan. I wondered myself if that was cracked but it looks like some kind of pot metal or aluminum. I usually change the oil after the first 1000 miles just in case there are any metal debris inside the crankcase. It's probably not necessary but I feel better. You can't get Mobil 1 full synthetic changed for $30. Not around here. The oil and filter cost about $40. I am a do it your selfer and enjoy maintaining my own vehicles. There are plenty of ways to document self oil changes. I work six days a week and just don't have the time to sit around at the dealer waiting for service. I guess everyone feels differently about this.

Joe
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
DamonH
Fate, TX
2012 Explorer LTD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
I keep receipts and notes of when I do any work, and use Motorcraft parts. I traded in my '06 F150, and did all the maintenance myself. The warranty issue never really came into play, because my truck never had to go in for any work. I'm hoping my Explorer will be as reliable! I've always heard they will deny warranty claims if you can't prove you did the maintenance, and if my dealer said my receipts and word wasn't good enough, I would let them know I won't be back for service or to buy any future vehicles. Probably doesn't mean much these days, but it is what it is.

Quote:
I've always just liked to change it myself. I could do it faster then the time it takes to just drive up to the dealer, much less have it done and drive back. It also lets me poke around for any other potential problems while I'm underneath. My dealer is giving me first and fifth oil changes for free (fifth only if I do the 2nd-4th with them). I'll at least let them do the first, we'll see about the rest.

Quote:
Thanks! I intend to be around a while, hopefully providing some useful input as well.

---
DamonH
12 Explorer LTD 302A
DamonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
CulturalInfidel
2013 Explorer LTD
2003 Wrangler Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdrafting View Post
Why did you change oil after 1000M? IMHO you waste your time and money. Lets start use oil life monitor. That was my 5 cents
He just bought a $40k vehicle... I can't imagine the cost of 5 quarts of oil and a filter is gonna matter.
CulturalInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
jreask
st. louis Mo
2012 XLT Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CulturalInfidel View Post
He just bought a $40k vehicle... I can't imagine the cost of 5 quarts of oil and a filter is gonna matter.

Six quarts with the 3.5 L.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
CulturalInfidel
2013 Explorer LTD
2003 Wrangler Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreask View Post
Six quarts with the 3.5 L.
OK.
But I'm with you ... an early oil change (or more frequent than recommended over the life of the engine) is CHEAP insurance against premature failure!
CulturalInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
jreask
st. louis Mo
2012 XLT Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CulturalInfidel View Post
OK.
But I'm with you ... an early oil change (or more frequent than recommended over the life of the engine) is CHEAP insurance against premature failure!
Come to think of it, this is the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned.
Cheap insurance is correct. Plus I get to poke around down there and check out
Drivetrain components etc
Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreask View Post
I just changed the oil for the first time in the 2012 Explorer. It has nearly 1000 miles on the odometer and I always do the first change around 1000 miles. I am using Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic with a Motorcraft fl500S filter. This had to be the EASIEST oil change I have ever done on any vehicle...
Thanks for the great pictures, jreask! Iím glad your oil change was so effortless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182RG View Post
Excel spreadsheet plus scanned copies of the receipts for oil and filter. Simple.
Quote:
...I also like to have the dealership do it for that reason and they stamp the Maintenance Log in the Owner's Guide.
I agree with you guys that itís very important to keep thorough records when you have an oil change done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
...Thanks! I intend to be around a while, hopefully providing some useful input as well.
Welcome to the site, Damon; Iím sure youíll like the community.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: