Help! SOHC front timing cassette removal with head in? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! SOHC front timing cassette removal with head in?

bigredscowboy

Reaction score
City, State
High Point, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge 4.0 4x4
I'm normally on TRS but they are down right now

Trying to get 02 SOHC timing chain done. I thought this could be done without removing the heads but I can't get the front guide out (looks like the rear will come out without pulling the head). Is is possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Firstly you do not have to remove the heads to replace timing chains/tensioners/guides.

Remove the front Primary timing cover to reach the lower guide bolt. for this you will have to remove the harmonic balancer (easy once you know how) a few peices of your old guide may be wedged between the primary chains also so its good to get them out.

The water pump does not have to come off the primary timing case either.

As for the rear guide, most members either pull the engine or drop the tranny to get behind there.

The way I did it was to simply retime the right camshaft without replacing the guide. I found that without the guide there to deflect the shape of the chain the right camshaft was 10 degrees behind TDC with a noticeable performance drop. It is a lot easier to retime then most people make out.

i have the motor out and the right (driver side) guide unscrewed. The right chain and cassette is out. The shape of the pivot on the guide won't allow it to come out through the head. Still trying to get the jackshaft bolt out in in the hopes that the guide can slide out the bottom but it doesn't look like it will work

If the guide is not broken up enough to pull out, hold both camshafts then remove the jackshaft bolt. If you do not have timing tools to hold the camshafts, you can use Vice grips on a space between the cam lobes with the handle against the mating surface on the top of the heads.

If the guide is not broken up enough to pull out, hold both camshafts then remove the jackshaft bolt. If you do not have timing tools to hold the camshafts, you can use Vice grips on a space between the cam lobes with the handle against the mating surface on the top of the heads.

I do have OTC-6488, however I broke 6488 (the camshaft aligning tool) trying to loosen the jackshaft. Switch to the chain method and broke my ratchet.

Will it come out the bottom if I get the jackshaft out?

it might help to note that the right upper guide I'm having trouble with has a metal shell, is this an aftermarket part or the original (my new one had the metal too)?

If you are working on the timing equipment on the rear of the engine the blolts are a reverse thread.

yeah, i've been turning them the right way (which is normally righty-tighty), I'm just going to have to use a breaker bar instead of a ratchet with a pipe.

will the guide slide out the bottom once the JS is removed?

If they are reinforced with metal I believe they are aftermarket. Once you remove the sprocket off the jack shaft, then undo the lower guide bolt, then undo the camshaft sproket It should be able to manover it out from the top quite easily.

improved cassettes

The 2002 and later SOHC V6 has the metal reinforced cassette guide on the slack side. To my knowledge there were no improvements to the timing chain related components after 2002. Obviously, to replace the rear chain the jackshaft rear sprocket must be removed. Since you have the engine out I suggest that you replace the entire cassette (sprockets, chain and guide). The jackshaft rear sprocket retaining bolt loosens counterclockwise while the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt loosens clockwise. I had trouble inserting the rear cassette but no trouble removing it since it was broken in pieces. See post # 252 of: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga The guide must come out the top thru the opening in the head. See SOHC V6 Rear Cassette Replacement

This is my new one almost identical to the old. Since the old one is not broken, there is now way in hell the width from the left of the pivot to the edge of the metal on the right is coming out the top. WTF?
ry%3D400.jpg

The 2002 and later SOHC V6 has the metal reinforced cassette guide on the slack side. To my knowledge there were no improvements to the timing chain related components after 2002. Obviously, to replace the rear chain the jackshaft rear sprocket must be removed. Since you have the engine out I suggest that you replace the entire cassette (sprockets, chain and guide). The jackshaft rear sprocket retaining bolt loosens counterclockwise while the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt loosens clockwise. I had trouble inserting the rear cassette but no trouble removing it since it was broken in pieces. See post # 252 of: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga The guide must come out the top thru the opening in the head. See SOHC V6 Rear Cassette Replacement

I haven't gotten to the rear guide yet because I was having trouble getting the jackshaft bolt loosened. The front one doesn't appear that it will ever come out from the top due to the width of the pivot bearing and the all metal construction (plastic attached on the inside)

Did you remove the hydraulic tensioner from the side of the head?

Did you remove the hydraulic tensioner from the side of the head?

yep, first thing. What I'm calling the "pivot" literally is too wide to pass through the head. It moved up and down as long as it is in the block but once pulled up it won't budge past the lip of the head. Put vice grips on and pulled hard but it is so wide that it can't even pass the lip of the head.

remove as an assembly

The rear cassette is removed as an assembly after the jackshaft rear sprocket retaining bolt is removed and the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt is removed.
RCssttV.jpg

The tab is what gave me a problem.
TabRCst.jpg

I couldn't tell much from your photo. Here's two examples of rear cassettes (Ford OEM and Borg Warner):
RFrnt.jpg

RRear.jpg

removing front guide

I haven't gotten to the rear guide yet because I was having trouble getting the jackshaft bolt loosened. The front one doesn't appear that it will ever come out from the top due to the width of the pivot bearing and the all metal construction (plastic attached on the inside)

I thought you were trying to remove the rear instead of the front. See SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair
The cassette will not drop out the bottom and pass thru the front timing cover.

DSCF2707.jpg

Should come outta there without to much hassle, mine were allready out due to a hydrastaticlock crunching the Hell out of them.

I'm working on the front upper guide from the jackshaft to the right (driver) camshaft
from the front of the head:
ry%3D400.jpg

new one showing width
ry%3D400.jpg

And that has to come out from the top right of my last picture, once you undo the jack shaft sproket

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The chain and sprocket holding the upper front camshaft are off (in picture below i put main sprocket back on to try to get jackshaft off from the rear). The guide is loose but it will not pass the head.
ry%3D400.jpg

Back