Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

AWD Transfer Case fluid change

Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Smoke92
Montana
1997 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
AWD Transfer Case fluid change

Hey guys, I am going to change the front and rear diff fluid and the transfer case fluid on my 97 AWD 5.0 this weekend. I have done this before on my 04 4WD Ranger. I am assuming the explorer is the same as far as the diffs go. I was wondering what kind of fluid the transfer case takes and how to change it, being that is is AWD instead of 4WD. Also, do you have to use a suction gun through the fill plug on the front diff like on a Ranger? Thanks. BTW, what kind of fluid would the Transfer Case need?
Smoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
rabbit91
Elite Explorer
Surrey

00' 5.0L TT AAL 32"BFGs

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
pretty sure i used Mercon V, but couldnt get all 2 quartz in
i didnt suction all the fluid out, just let it drain out of the drain bolt, filling it was a BEACH, i ended up running a tube all the way to the engine compartment and made my aunt poor fluid in while i held the tube in place. there are a few bad youtube videos, search for A1auto, maybe he has a nice one done

00 Limited 5.0 4x4 BW4406 manual Tcase, TT AAL sloped BL, SOA, 33 Duratracs, 3' firestik, CVT RTT, Front skid plate, sliders, Eaton Truetrac in the rear
Future Plans: Dual battery, Gears, SAS
rabbit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
1996BLKBauer
McHenry, IL
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
JLSparky7 Made a good video about it....

heres a link... http://youtu.be/rtyMLI16KfU

-15x7 Cragar Soft 8's, On Hankook 235/75R15 Tires
-Upgraded CB Radio soon(Radio Shack Special now)
-POR 15 undercoat(Summer Project)
1996BLKBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
SoNic67
Newport News, VA
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Look in the owner manual to see what it takes (page 223)...
If you don't have the manual, get one free from here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

PS: Strictly technical, AWD has a central differential, not a regular transfer case. It is called the same so it does not confus epeople.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Smoke92
Montana
1997 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Cool, thanks for the video link. For some reason I was thinking the AWD used a viscous clutch setup so I was thinking it would use different fluid other than ATF like a regualr 4x4 case but I guess not. Are there any videos of doing a front diff fluid change out there? Doesn't seem like there is enough room to get the cover off.
Smoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Jason c
The Dark Knight
Portland, OR

2000 Limited 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

The factory manual that came with mine says regular MERCON ATF 1.3 quarts for the AWD transfer case. Also make sure to get the friction modifier for the rear diff. I think it is about $8 at the dealership.

Black Limited, De-badged, Gold 5.0 emblems, Dark Knight emblems, Black euro tail lights, TM Headers, Magnaflow 2-1 muffler, Opened air box, Screamin Demon coils, SCT Henson tune, EBC brake rotors, 3 inch body lift, Warrior shackles and TT, Secondary trans filter with temp gauge, Retro-fit Morimoto H1 projectors.

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...orts/2000%20X/
Jason c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
1996BLKBauer
McHenry, IL
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason c View Post
The factory manual that came with mine says regular MERCON ATF 1.3 quarts for the AWD transfer case. Also make sure to get the friction modifier for the rear diff. I think it is about $8 at the dealership.
Yup, picked up a bottle at my local dealership, I spent $7.95 on it.

Question I plan on doing the front diff in mine in the spring, does it too need the friction modifier?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Jason c
The Dark Knight
Portland, OR

2000 Limited 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

No just the rear needs it.

Black Limited, De-badged, Gold 5.0 emblems, Dark Knight emblems, Black euro tail lights, TM Headers, Magnaflow 2-1 muffler, Opened air box, Screamin Demon coils, SCT Henson tune, EBC brake rotors, 3 inch body lift, Warrior shackles and TT, Secondary trans filter with temp gauge, Retro-fit Morimoto H1 projectors.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
1996BLKBauer
McHenry, IL
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason c View Post
No just the rear needs it.
OK, Thanks, just wanted to make sure. From looking at it, it will be a big PITA! Although it will be beneficial, because it most likely never been done on my truck with 157,xxx Miles on it.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Jason c
The Dark Knight
Portland, OR

2000 Limited 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

I was able to pump it out with a cheap hand pump with some brake bleeding tubing shoved inside the gear lube pump tubing.

Suggest this thread to friends: