I pick up my New project in an hour | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I pick up my New project in an hour

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you doing a 302 swap?

That is the Plan at least.

Hmmm, How many trips does this mean I'll be making to Victoria?

Kris, what are your hp and torque goals after the swap and buildup?

I hope you wont have to make any trips. I hope to have some one experinced with swaps do this for me. As Far as Hp and torque I am Not sure what I will be getting out of this one.

That depends on Cost... If I want to go Cheap I will go T-5 if I want Expensive I will go NV4500...

so you start out with a 2wd navajo with a v8 and end up with a v8 4x4?!?!?!?

Thats alot of conversions

I have to know about the manual transfer case. I would really like to get one since I hate trusting a button for my four wheel drive.

So what's you plan? I too am considering a 5.0 out of an Explorer for the swap. I almost had one but did't act fast enough ... it's gone.

I am considering puttin Edelbrock aluminum heads on it for the extra ponies and the weight loss.

I agree, the tranny solution is not an easy one. The NV4500 is nice, probably over kill however, and it weighs a lot. Who has done this and how does it fit?

I am considering a transmission from a full size Bronco or F-150 - They used yet another Mazda tranny - M5R2. Morte heavy duty than our M5R1, but still not great. I hope it is the better compromise.

I have a love / hate relationship with the T5 - love to drive it, hate the repairs required. The linkage is the weak link. Talk to local tranny shops and see what they say - Shops that offer more than a 90 day warrenty typically don't like them.

The Kaufmann web site is down so you must call them. They have just joined up with the company that builds their exhaust systems. I have talked with them several times, but have not been able to get good knowledgable answers.

Don't tell L and L you are doing the swap in an Explorer. They arn't interested.

Has anyone used Total Performance swap parts?

Guy,

I like the Explorer Engine for a couple of Reasons first off the upper intake has a bend that helps get around the heater box. Next the Gt 40 style Heads and intake. Also the Mech. fan. The fuel rails connect on the Driver side.

Thanks For the Heads up on the M5R2.

Whats up?

How is the project going ?

Right now I am cleaning up and painting the Engine. I will be looking in to buying parts to make this Engine install go quickly. I want to have a very short down time so buying as many parts as I can before taking the truck down.

Sound like a good idea.

Keep in touch.

As I have been pulling parts off this Motor I have found that the Motor has to have Low Mileage. That why I got a good Deal on it (unknown mileage) Any why the Inside of the motor is Clean the injectors look new and the Spark plug are the orignals and Look new.

I have found some Problems with Using an Explorer motor instead of the Mustang Motor. The Explorer motor will fit in the Explorer easier than the Mustang Motor with the Shorter front Dress with and run the Clutch Fan. and Fuel rail that will be easier to use. But there are a few thing that I have found to be a problem. The Wiring for an Explorer 5.0 will not mate with the 91-94 Explorers. What I and going to do is Use a Mustang Harness and a Saleen Custom Made Computer on the Explorer motor.

Awesome Kris!

Definately sounds like a plan. Good to know you have direction in this, cause ya certainly need it! Now, I'm not sure about the X fuel lines on the V-8, but I have found that all the lines on my X and from the stang motor are all -5AN, which none of the swap manuals expained the best. Just a lil thought to toss in!
Pete

Sounds like a plan to me.... Using the Explorer 5.0 and an alternate 89 - 93 mustang wire harness & computer is attractive, but have not found out about some of the details yet. So what have you learned?

1) I am told you can swap out the stock EEC V system for the earlier EEC IV system. What needs to be changed?

2) The Explorer 5.0 has DIS ignition. You will need to change the ignition system back to the 89 - 93 style distributor type ignition (non DIS).

3) What needs to be changed with the fuel injection system, if anything? (Again EEC V changed back to EEC IV) Are the fuel rails, regulator, injectors the same? Are the voltage levels used for the injectors the same?

4) Why the Saleen computer? Why not the Ford A9L computer (93 mustang / FMS computer option)? What customization is being done and do you have Saleens phone number. I get no response from their website.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to subscribe to this thread.

Keep it simple Kris. The Mustang main harness is much eaiser to deal with than the Explorer main harness. Although the Explorer harness can be used, the mustang harness will save time and money.

Back