Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Anyone Have Rattles From Rear of Interior ?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
JFUSION
Ontario

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Anyone Have Rattles From Rear of Interior ?

I've had my 2012 for about 6 months now, I've put a lot of miles on it and it has been quite good until recent times. I don't have much to complain about MFT, knock on wood, but I do have two rattles that have shown up in the rear of the vehicle when driving on rough roads.

The first one is a higher pitch jiggling sound which sounds like it is towards the back of the second row seating, like a metal on metal higher pitch jiggle sound.

I also have a deeper rattle, when driving alone it was sounding like it was coming from the rear driver door area, but my son sat in the back today and he says it is coming further back behind the second row seats. My third row seats are almost always in a flat position. It almost sounds like seat belts hitting the hard plastic panels but when I look at the seat belts they seem protected and a decent distance away from the plastic side panels.

I'm going to be taking it in to my dealer, this is going to be difficult to locate unless they put 2 or 3 people in the vehicle and driver over some rough roads. I was just wondering if anyone else has had rattles from the rear of the interior ?, thanks for any replies.
JFUSION is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
spitfisher
New England
1995 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By chance do you have a hitch? Could be the ball and the arm its attched to causing the rattling.
spitfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
JFUSION
Ontario

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfisher View Post
By chance do you have a hitch? Could be the ball and the arm its attched to causing the rattling.
No hitch on my truck, but thanks for asking.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The spare tire or jack in the rear well maybe??

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5

Last edited by VinceL; 02-26-2012 at 08:27 AM.
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
Fritzenheimer
Georgia
2012Limited

Vehicle Specs

Rear rattle

I had a rattle in the back. It was my license plate which only had screws at the top because of the frame I have it in. Put some foam pads under the plate and fixed the problem.
Fritzenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
I have the rattle in the moonroof right above the drivers head.

Its there when the power shade is open and closed.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit
Sgt1411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFUSION View Post
I've had my 2012 for about 6 months now, I've put a lot of miles on it and it has been quite good until recent times. I don't have much to complain about MFT, knock on wood, but I do have two rattles that have shown up in the rear of the vehicle when driving on rough roads.

The first one is a higher pitch jiggling sound which sounds like it is towards the back of the second row seating, like a metal on metal higher pitch jiggle sound.

I also have a deeper rattle, when driving alone it was sounding like it was coming from the rear driver door area, but my son sat in the back today and he says it is coming further back behind the second row seats. My third row seats are almost always in a flat position. It almost sounds like seat belts hitting the hard plastic panels but when I look at the seat belts they seem protected and a decent distance away from the plastic side panels.

I'm going to be taking it in to my dealer, this is going to be difficult to locate unless they put 2 or 3 people in the vehicle and driver over some rough roads. I was just wondering if anyone else has had rattles from the rear of the interior ?, thanks for any replies.
No problems with mine so far. You may have to go through the process of elimination. Try it with both rows folded, with all rows in the upright position, with spare removed, with jack equipment removed etc and see if anything changes. I would try that before taking it to the dealer and have them charge for the extra time. Just a suggestion.

Peter

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
dinom
MA
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Same here. It was the rear license plate. Added two more screws to the bottom, and the rattle went away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzenheimer View Post
I had a rattle in the back. It was my license plate which only had screws at the top because of the frame I have it in. Put some foam pads under the plate and fixed the problem.
dinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
ExploreThis2012
2012 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No rattles to speak of so far. I did forget something very important and had loud rattling coming from the front passenger area. I looked... apologized, smiled at my wife and the rattling stopped.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
deerfarm
Hickory, NC
2011 Limited 4wd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt1411 View Post
I have the rattle in the moonroof right above the drivers head.

Its there when the power shade is open and closed.
I have this rattle. Mine sounds like a flutter and sounds like it is coming from the passenger side, but as soon as I touch the rim around the moon roof above my head, it goes away. Not loud enough to get fixed yet.
deerfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
JFUSION
Ontario

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for all of the replies. My license plate has 4 bolts on it so it is good. I was playing around with the seat belts the other day and they make a knocking noise similar to what I'm hearing if they were to knock against the hard plastic panels. I thought they were sufficiently protected from making noise if they were to contact the panels but they aren't, they will make a knocking noise. It only happens on very rough roads and it might be just enough to get the belts to hit the side panels. The other item I have heard is the spare tire items when I've hit a speed bump a bit too fast but that doesn't happen very often
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Another Possible Rattle?

Yesterday I was lightly kicking the splash guards to remove the built up snow/slush before parking it in the garage. I noticed that the rear guards are not as securely fastened as the front ones. I don't know if they are sufficiently loose enough to cause a rattling noise when going over rough terrain or not. I just thought I'd add this as a possible source to check for those that have them installed.

Peter

Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFUSION View Post
...I was playing around with the seat belts the other day and they make a knocking noise similar to what I'm hearing if they were to knock against the hard plastic panels...
JFUSION,

So are the seat belts the culprit? I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreThis2012 View Post
No rattles to speak of so far. I did forget something very important and had loud rattling coming from the front passenger area. I looked... apologized, smiled at my wife and the rattling stopped.
I take it your wife doesn’t frequent this forum, ExploreThis2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzenheimer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinom View Post
Same here. It was the rear license plate. Added two more screws to the bottom, and the rattle went away.
Fritzenheimer & dinom,

I’m glad you got the noise narrowed down and taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt1411 View Post
I have the rattle in the moonroof right above the drivers head...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerfarm View Post
I have this rattle. Mine sounds like a flutter and sounds like it is coming from the passenger side, but as soon as I touch the rim around the moon roof above my head, it goes away...
Sgt1411 & deerfarm,

I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages so drop a line via PM if you’d like help.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
tttsample
CA
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

The metal on metal higher pitch jiggle sound is coming from the second row sit hinge, not from seatbelt. Try this, fold the seatback of the second row and hit the hinge with the palm of your hand, you should hear this rattling sound. Mentioned this during regular service and they'll fix it.
tttsample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttsample View Post
The metal on metal higher pitch jiggle sound is coming from the second row sit hinge, not from seatbelt. Try this, fold the seatback of the second row and hit the hinge with the palm of your hand, you should hear this rattling sound. Mentioned this during regular service and they'll fix it.
Is that the loose spring thing I have heard about before in another thread?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
jrmexplorer
Elite Explorer
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
i have a rattle from the second seat, but it's caused by my kid's careseats. Sometimes the latch anchors will squeak as this is a metal-on-metal connection. The car seat also has a plastic rattle. If I put my hand on the seat it stops.

Do you have any carseats JFusion?
jrmexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
JFUSION
Ontario

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttsample View Post
I think that is the source of the high pitched jiggle noise, thanks for that info I will definitely check that out, it really sounds like a metal hinge type of noise. Maybe a bit of grease would help it ?.

The other lower sound is like something hitting the hard plastic panels, that's why I suspect the belts. I'll keep working on that one, I need to put someone in the back area and drive over some rought roads. It takes a good stretch of rough road to re-create it, where you get successive bumps in a row. I'll keep working on this one.

I have to take the vehicle in for the infamous a-pillar panel noise, I need to check the other rattles a bit more before I go to the dealer, thanks for all of the replies and the dealer contact offer.

I don't have any car seats in the vehicle.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
JFUSION
Ontario

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Great news. I took the truck into my local Ford dealer and reported the high pitched jiggle and the rear rattle to them. They had me drive my truck with a tech sitting in the back seat. They isolated the source of the noises to the headliner on the rear driver side just behind the rear door area. They took apart the headliner and re-attached all of the wires that run through the roof, and affixed the headliner as designed. I have not had any further noises since the repair, it seems to have done the trick. Great service from my dealer on this one.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Awesome! Enjoy your newly quieter car

Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #20
Spengracin
Fairfield, Ca
2012 AWD Limited

Vehicle Specs

My rattles are in the dash, driving me nuts!

2012 Limited EX. Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, 302a package, bliss, pecan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof rack, Aries Stainlees Nerf bars, upgraded LED interior lighting.
Spengracin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: