2002 4.0L SOHC coolant sensors? Pic attached | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.0L SOHC coolant sensors? Pic attached

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
this is for my 2002 ranger with the 4.0 sohc engine.

i have the P0125 code so i am planning on replacing the thermostat along with the temperature sensor.

however when I located the sensor to the rear of the thermostat housing there are two sensors. are they both coolant sensors? and also when ordering the replacement parts are they the same exact sensor?

i attached a picture to help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ECT sensor

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

There is an engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor that reports to the PCM and an engine temperature sender that drives the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster that has no impact on engine operation. They are different parts.

If your temperature gauge shows the engine warming up to normal then you don't have a problem with the thermostat. Make sure your coolant level hasn't dropped below the ECT sensor location. Check the wiring and the connector to the ECT sensor. If you have screw-in type sensors then the original thermostat housing is a poor design. When removal of the ECT sensor is attempted the brass fitting it screws into can spin in the plastic housing preventing removal and causing a coolant leak. Try to eliminate the wiring/connector before attempting removal of the sensor.

Check the wiring and the connector to the ECT sensor.

ECT Sensor (Grey) More likely your issue if wiring OK. (Motorcraft DY#)
Gauge Sender (Red or Brown) Probably OK since your gauge is working.

Have VIN available to verify correct sensor for your Ranger. Good luck.

The gage in the dash is working fine. The needle stops a little before the halfway mark.
The coolant level is full at the radiator fill neck.

Btw i believe my two sensors are the push In type because i can see a retaining snap ring like clip around the base of the sensor

I know it's really confined in there. You should be able to remove the grey
ECT sensor without removing any other parts. Carefully pull off the retaining
clip with needle nose pliers without dropping it, and lift straight up. Good luck.

I'm having a similiar problem but my temp gauge isn't working at all. I have a 2004 engine in a 2003 Ranger. Could the problem be the actual guage or the two sending unit?

update- i replaced the ECT sensor along with the thermostat and it fixed the problem. i believe the ECT sensor was the culprit but replaced the thermostat since i was in that deep into the project

Back