Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer Sport Trac Forums > 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Notices

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac All questions related to the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac model.

Radio won't turn off plz help

Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
TLCSR66
King George VA
2004 XLS Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Radio won't turn off plz help *UPDATE*

This will be my 2nd post but not my last to be sure.

I have an 04 Sport Trac XLS.
My problem, when I turn off the truck and get out the radio keeps playing. I thought maybe it was on a timer and would shut off after a minute. When I came out of the house it was still playing. I opened the passenger door and it shut off. I restarted the truck and it still wouldn't shut off after opening the driver door. I can open any other door and it shuts off but not the driver door.

Is there a switch or something in the driver door or something else?

I just got the truck and didn't notice this during the test drive because I had the radio off to listen to the engine. I don't have time to go back to the dealer so this is something I will have to fix on my own.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by TLCSR66; 03-16-2012 at 01:11 PM.
TLCSR66 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
interscope8
Purdue University
2001 Sport Trac 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is the strangest thing Ive read on here in awhile...

Idk about other years, but my 01 never had any sort of radio deactivation or anything, when the truck gets turned off power to the head unit got cut. Period. Now in your case it sounds like it has a sensor to see when people leave the vehicle and thats when it gets turned off... Someone with the same year might be able to help you more than me but that sensor that shuts off the head unit must be bad on the Driver side door and working fine in all the others. Thats the only explaination I can come up with. Not much help but thats all I got, GL

interscope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
RNGRDVE
CINCINNATI, OHIO
01 SPORTTRAC

Vehicle Specs

A lot of newer vehicles are set up so accesories stay on until a door is opened, radio, pwr sindows etc. If it shuts off when pass door is opened you probably have a failed door latch. Not sure on fords but on g.m. vehicles the command that the door is open for this circuit comes from the latches.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
TLCSR66
King George VA
2004 XLS Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
After more playing with the door I am thinking it's a switch in the driver door.

When I open any other door the "door ajar" light comes on in the dash, how ever when I open the driver door it does not come on. I am 99.9% convinced it's the switch.

Now does anybody know where the switch is? I thought I had found it but it turned out to be a big rivet.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
RNGRDVE
CINCINNATI, OHIO
01 SPORTTRAC

Vehicle Specs

Dorr switch is probably part of the latch.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
ncranchero
Co-moderator
Denver,NC

'94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'll may agree with the door switch but most people have the opposite problem with it. It IS on the latch itself.

Do the dome lamps work properly when you open and close the drivers door?

How to post photos
ncranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
TLCSR66
King George VA
2004 XLS Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
@ ncranchero. Good question, something I failed to mention and another reason I think it could be the door ajar switch.

When the driver door is open the dome lights do not come on, also the open door light in the dash does not come on. If any other door is open the dome lights come on and the dash light comes on.

I will be pulling the door panel later today to see if I can find the problem
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
ncranchero
Co-moderator
Denver,NC

'94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Use care when removing the door panel or you'll break off the top mounting hook.

How to post photos
ncranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
TLCSR66
King George VA
2004 XLS Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Confirmed, the door ajar switch is broken. It's snapped off and hanging by the wire.

Dealership wants $64.50 for a new one plus labor to install. I could do the install myself but I'm heading out of town for a job. I may just wait and get the part and fix it myself at this point it's just an inconvenience.

And thanks ncranchero for the picture of the latch assembly, it helped a ton.

Suggest this thread to friends: