How to get my climate control to work in 1998 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get my climate control to work in 1998 XLT?

Phili602

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
I had a 1998 Eddie Bouer and rolled it. I salvaged the chassis and motor by completing a body swap. but the XLT has way different plugs for the blower motor and Im using the engine harness from the EB so it wont just plug in because the XLT has a different blower plug.
Could I splice some wires and use the XLT AC plug with the EB harness or would I have to put my EB dash with all the wiring in it and put the EB blower assembly in the XLT for anything to work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

speaking from experience, completely rewire your new shell using the wires from the rolled truck... everything will work then and you won't have to splice anything... that's what I did with my V8 Sport Limited..

Si

So I will have to remove everything including the dash and carpet?

That's the easiest way to do it.. it's not that hard, I can get a dashboard out in about 30 mins now...

Si

Dang! Thats fast! Its pretty heavy also.... So it wouldnt be easier to just splice the AC wire plug from the XLTs harness onto the EB harness where it plugs in below the blower? I dont really care about the climate control but I would have to get the AC control switches from the Junkyard if I did splice the wires

Because I still have the XLTs blower assembly under the hood and really dont wanna have to pull that whole thing out also. I would rather skip the climate control if possible and just have the basic switches

Easiest way to to it, uncouple the steering shaft, undo the shifter cable from the transmission.
under the dash, undo the parking brake, and there's also an 8mm bolt in the footwell by accelerator.
pop the top of the dash off, undo the 6 bolts around the outside of the dash, think they're 15mm...

pull... it'll come off...

swap all the stuff over... put the dash from the EB in, instead of the XLT dash...

job done!

the wiring looms in the dash are slightly different... (stereo controls/wiring for heater/A/C etc... stereo system and message centre and also the heated seats if you've got leather)

Si

So I would be able to use the message center also if I switched the dash or the whole wiring that runs from the front of the truck to the back with all kinds of branches?

if you take the entire wiring harness from one truck, and put it in the other, you're really only changing the shell... everything will be as it was before you rolled it over...

You'll also need to use the wiring down the inside of the driver's side frame to the fuel tank etc... it's not hard, just get a trim removal tool, I think they're about $3 and it makes the whole job really easy!!

Si

So the wiring in the drivers side frame is seperate from the long wire harness?

The wiring along the frame does the gas tank (it may also do the air ride if you have it)... it then comes up thru the floor, and plugs into the main harness..

Hope that helps...

Si

Oh... yeah I had to disconnect them before when swapping bodies. I was thinking of just changing the blower motor assembly and plugging in the plug thats below the blower since thats the blower out of my EB and it will plug right in. But my question now is.... If I go to the Junkyard and pull off some XLT AC control switches, will it work with my EB blower? Because the plug is different on the XLT and it wont work with my engine harness from the EB. Please help! And also the EB was a Canadian vehicle so may be different?

The EB harness plug below the blower plug has 5 wires with 2 thick ones and 3 thin ones and the XLT has 4 and their all thick

if you want the XLT stuff, just change the engine bay harness to the XLT harness... rather than rewire the whole truck, I would rather have it the other way, and have the EATC system and everything else, and the only difference really between US and Canadian vehicles is the speedo..

Si

How much would that harness run at a junkyard?

1998 XLT with the 4.0 SOHC automatic transmission. I would like to rewire the whole shell with my EB wiring form the interior but was looking at the EB harness and the guys that helped me rewire the wiring plug on the drivers door because it was cut on the XLT when I bought it, cut some wires out of the EB harness to make extra length on the door plug. So Either I can just get a XLT engine bay harness or a EB interior harness. I dont have that much time on my hands but would love to have my stock subwoofer and cd changer and everything else that my EB had if I can find another EB interior harness for cheap

Blueka is right. The EB had EATC and the XLT had manual controls. The whole circuit is wired different. You'll have some issues if you just swap the motor so that the plug matches. You should swap the engine bay harness because there is an extra relay in the in the box under the air cleaner that you would need as well as the way the controls are wired.

So put the XLT engine bay harness back in? Because I have the Eddie Bouer harness on there now and everything except the resistor on the blower motor assembly plugs in. I need AC soon because the summer is very close.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, it's going to be a lot less of a headache to use a complete XLT loom from front to back, rather than a mish mash...

Si

Back