Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Changing serpentine belt on a 4.6

Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
zavetsky
'94 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Changing serpentine belt on a 4.6

Hi all

It has been a long time since I have visited as I sold my Explorer a while back.

But a friend of mine has a 2004 Mountaineer with the 4.6 v8....he was looking to change his serpentine belt but it appears to him that the shroud and maybe the fan has to come off. Or that the tensioner has to come off in roder to facilitate.....

Can someone here who has done it post some info or pictures or whatever to help guide him?

Seems to me that something like a serpentine belt should be easy to change.....

Any advice? He is thinking about just going to a stealership to do it.....seems like that is $50 he can save.....

Thanks in advance

zavetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
esclamada
KCMO
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
you just need to release the tension, space is tight.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2348605&type=3

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos
esclamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Yadkin
The beautiful Yadkin Valley in the Great State of North Carolina
2012 Jeep GCO

Vehicle Specs

There is a 3/8" square drive fitting on the tensioner, back side of the pulley (facing the front of the vehicle). Insert your 3/8" drive, use a pipe on the end of the wrench for leverage and turn counterclockwise to increase tension on the tensioner spring (release the tension on the belt).
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
zavetsky
'94 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
So no need to remove any other parts like fans etc?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
esclamada
KCMO
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

You don't need to remove any of the parts, just release the tension and remove the belt. Put in the new belt based on the belt routing guide somewhere on the hood. I have to borrow the serpentine belt tool in Advance Auto because my 3/8 ratchet drive for the tensioner will not fit in (the depth is too wide for the space available). Pull that tool towards you when it's in place. You have to go under to properly put the belts under the crankshaft pulley and A/C. It could be done for less than 10mins.

MY MOUNTY
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
zavetsky
'94 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Relayed this info to my friend and he replied:

"If i turn counterclockwise, I would increase the pressure on the belt. I would need to go clockwise to release the tension, pushing the pulley down as my belt runs up and over the pulley. Plus, unless I can really really move that pulley, there is no way to slip off the belt past the engine block. "

Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
esclamada
KCMO
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

use the serpentine belt tool clockwise to release tension. It's easy compared to an oil change.

MY MOUNTY
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Just turn the dang thing the correct way to relieve tension on the belt. It's clockwise if you look one way, counter clockwise if you turn yourself around./.....

imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Yadkin
The beautiful Yadkin Valley in the Great State of North Carolina
2012 Jeep GCO

Vehicle Specs

I assumed it was the same direction for the 4.6 as my 4.0, apparently not. In any event, turn the wrench so the tensioner pulley makes the belt go slack. Then slip it off the nearest pulley, carefully release the wrench, then slip the belt off.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
partybob99
NW Ohio
2003 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I just changed my belt on a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L this weekend and I have to get in my two cents.

1) You need a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar to fit into the hole in the belt tensioner. I tried finding a 3/8" breaker bar after reading this thread and it was not the correct size.
2) I ended up using a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet to loosen the tension on the belt, but I accessed the tensioner from the bottom of the vehicle. I was barely able to squeeze the ratchet in there but after playing around with the fan blades it worked. I had someone up top who then pulled the belt off the alternator after I swung the tensioner out of the way.
3) Standing in front of the vehicle with the hood open, feed the new belt between the two idler pulleys and use it to wrap around the AC pulley and then the crank. It is tricky and it took me a while to get it right. I kept referring to the belt diagram repeatedly, but I got it.
4) Make sure the belt is tight around all other pulleys and that the slack is lined up around the alternator. Again, I pulled the tensioner down from the bottom of the vehicle and had my helper slip the belt around the alternator.

I believe it took me over an hour to complete. I thought it was a lot harder than an oil change in my opinion! Good luck
partybob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
JoshMcMadMac
Waynesboro, PA
2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Part #2 of this write-up should help visualize the procedure, as well as the belt routing:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=294228

Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
pet575
Kansas City, MO
2004 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I've done this job myself on my own vehicle and it is VERY easy to do as described above. Push clockwise to loosen tension and remove the belt.
pet575 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
partybob99
NW Ohio
2003 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Removing the fan shroud in the beginning probably would have made things a lot easier! But I didnt end up doing that. Also I did not have the serpentine belt tool - which would have helped as well because it looks quite a bit thinner than the 1/2" ratchet. I'm not sure moving the idler pulley out of the way from the underside of the vehicle is the easiest method but it does work.
partybob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Donystoy
Elite Explorer
Hamilton, Ontario
02 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I looked at doing this job today and it sure seems to be a tight spot to work. I ended up using a large pipe wrench to turn the tensioner as I just could not get my 1/2" braker bar into the hole. How do you get the belt around the back of the tensioner? There only seems to be about 1/16" clearance behind the pulley. Does it have to be removed? Sure isn't as easy as working on a Crown Vic.
Update: Got it changed. I did have to remove the complete tensioner and finally was able to use the breaker bar to re-install. Certainly is a knuckle buster though.

Last edited by Donystoy; 06-05-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Donystoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: