Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Is Ford's Extended Warranty Plan worth it?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Rocketfan
Los Angeles, CA
93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Is Ford's Extended Warranty Plan worth it?

Does anyone have experience with Ford's extended warranty plan (PremiumCare)? My only problems so far have been with MFT but since it is a first model year car, I am considering getting the extended warranty plan but would like to know other people's experience with the Ford plan. Any issues getting warranty service? Any suggestions as to what flavor to purchase? Is MFT covered under any of the plans?

Also, I am a little wary about buying online from Zeigler. Has anyone bought one of their plans and had any trouble at their local (non-Zeigler) dealer?

Thanks and sorry if this has been posted before.
Rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It would be covered as "technology" which is the level I'd get. I wouldn't want to buy a new AIPM... I asked that for the Explorer owners when I was in there last time...

Ziegler is local to me, and we don't have any issues with them as far as service. Not sure on the coverage outside of here, but it should be the same. It's not a third party warranty so it should be ok...

We have PremiumCare on our new Escape. I actually got it for less than Ziegler at my local dealer, Borgman Ford.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Chimmy76
Virginia Beach,VA
2012 Tundra

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Best one out there! I had the premium care on my f-350 that was lifted and never had an issue with the ford ESP. I used the ESP many times from head gaskets front end tear down ball joints to wheel bearings. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time get it. Mine paid for itself many times!

1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible
Chimmy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Is the ESP worth it? I guess only time will really tell. I bought the Lease Care plan. I have bought extended warranties on my previous 3 Highlanders and would have been much further ahead money wise not to have bought them. I only used it once to replace a tire. But again, you don't really know what if anything may go wrong.
Because the 2011 was a first year model loaded with electronics I thought it would be a good thing to get the warranty, if for nothing else than peace of mind. In one way it is no different than deciding whether or not to put insurance on your house. You may never need to use it but it is there, just in case.
I purchased my ESP through my dealer.

Peter

Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Yadkin
The beautiful Yadkin Valley in the Great State of North Carolina
2012 Jeep GCO

Vehicle Specs

I had the Ford ESP for my Expedition, and I'm glad I did. For nothing else, they give you a free rental when you take it in for covered service. You're not sitting in the waiting room or bumming a ride. Basically it bumps you up to "Lincoln" status without the cost of buying a Lincoln.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
blwnsmoke
2011 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
I had the 5yr 100k on my 6.0 F250.. paid $1,400 (misquoted but honored that). I have had had over $5,000 worth of repairs covered and got a rental every time (first day rental is a must). With all this tech in the Ex, absolutely but only settle for the premium care.
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Does anybody happen to know if you get the unused amount of the plan cost back when you sell the car or when the coverage expires?

My father-in-law has that with his Chevrolets and loves it. Sure you lose a little interest along the way, but you get the principle back in the end. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
Does anybody happen to know if you get the unused amount of the plan cost back when you sell the car or when the coverage expires?

My father-in-law has that with his Chevrolets and loves it. Sure you lose a little interest along the way, but you get the principle back in the end. Sounds like a good plan to me!
Vince, I'm just a bit confused (normal state) as to why you would expect any money back when the coverage expires? Is it because you didn't have any claims? I have not seen anywhere where there is mention of getting a partial refund if you sell the vehicle. My understanding is that the warranty can be transferred to the new owner. I did that with my '09 Highlander.

Peter

Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Peter, some plans have pro-rated refunds on unused portions, while others even offer full refunds if the extended warranty is never used. I was curious if anybody here had any knowledge to that effect regarding the Ford ESPs.

I emailed Zeigler asking them and I will post their response.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Peter, some plans have pro-rated refunds on unused portions, while others even offer full refunds if the extended warranty is never used. I was curious if anybody here had any knowledge to that effect regarding the Ford ESPs.

I emailed Zeigler asking them and I will post their response.
I wonder how thay make any money by giving full refunds. I wish my auto and home insurance was like that.
Anyway, good to know. Thanks.

Peter

Did some searching on the Internet and on http://www.troy-ford-extended-warran...ons-s/2581.htm I found the following;

Q: Can I cancel my Ford ESP?

A: Yes. All Ford ESP contracts can be canceled for a full refund within 30 days (if you have not used any aspect of the plan). Beyond 60 days, you will receive a pro-rated refund from Ford Motor Company.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for posting that Peter.

My thinking is that they get to use your money for several years, interest free. That's a pretty good deal for them.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Fab
MA
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

i also opted for the extended warranty plan due to the fact that it is a new model and there is so much electronics that could go wrong. I purchased mine online also.........but from Flood Ford which was a little less expensive than Ziegler. The price difference was small but I liked the fact that the dealer was within an hour from me (if i ever had to show up on their doorstep to complain) and I also liked the fact that their FAQ's indicated that they send you a copy of the invoice/contract. I don't ever plan to bring my car to that dealer though and i don't anticipate any problems. I asked the dealer where i do bring my car for service what the system shows for me.......and they confirmed that my warranty shows the additional months/mileage coverage limits that i purchased in the system.
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Saffer
Torrance, CA
2011 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used it a few times on my F150, excellent plan.

When I bough my Explorer, that was the first things I asked for, good insurance IMHO
Saffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
MikeFreas
VA Beach VA

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also opted for the Priemum care plan from Zeigler. Dealer wanted 2600 bucks which is a bit excessive in my opinion. I paid 1200 I think.

Anyway, just to put things in perspective, I had my truck in for service on the AWD system after I got a light last week. They had it for a week (I had a rental) and the total bill was 1500 bucks charged to Ford. That's just one repair. It's worth it.
MikeFreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Yadkin
The beautiful Yadkin Valley in the Great State of North Carolina
2012 Jeep GCO

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
You get the unused premium portion back when you sell the car, prorated. But if the coverage expires, it expires and that's it.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Hey everyone,

Like it was already mentioned, buying a Ford Extended Service Plan is perfect for peace of mind. For more info on available ESPs, check out Owner.Ford.com > Warranty & Service Plans > Extended Service Plans (http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...r/Page/ESPPage). Another option is calling Extended Service Plan Sales @ 1-800-367-3377 and they’ll be happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks for the great recommendations already posted, guys.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
You get the unused premium portion back when you sell the car, prorated. But if the coverage expires, it expires and that's it.
Thanks for the info

Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Rocketfan
Los Angeles, CA
93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the input (basically 100% positive). I am closing in on my one year anniversary so if the update fixes my many MFT problems, I will be getting PremiumCare. If not, I won't have the car long enough to make it worth it.
Rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfan View Post
Thanks for the input (basically 100% positive). I am closing in on my one year anniversary so if the update fixes my many MFT problems, I will be getting PremiumCare. If not, I won't have the car long enough to make it worth it.
If you do decide to get the ESP, I believe that it takes effect the day that you bought the Explorer and not the day you bought the program. You may want to check into that.

Peter

Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Peter, that is correct. ESP's start at day 0, mile 0.

Suggest this thread to friends: