Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

Fuel Tank Pressure/Vacuum release at cap

Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
97 EB Mike
Ohio
97 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Fuel Tank Pressure/Vacuum release at cap

Still playin with the ol girl...

I've noticed the last couple stops at the gas station, when I open the cap you can hear the release of pressure or vacuum. I don't know which. Just wondering what that's all about. Do I need a new cap? And could it be related to the intermittent lack of power I have? At no time in particular (it happens warm, cold, full tank, half tank, or near empty tank of gas) I'll just lose what little power my 2.3 has to offer. It always comes back within a few (not more than 15) seconds.

The only CEL code I have is related to the upstream O2 sensor - don't remember the codes, but I have one for high voltage and one for low voltage. Just haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

It never fails to start - in fact, always starts easily, and has never left me sit. Runs pretty great most of the time.

Any thoughts?

97 EB Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Tbars4
Offroad/Fitness Moderator
anaheim hills,california

95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
..IIRC this means your charcoal canister or evap hoses from the tank to the canister and before the SPV are plugged..

..I know there is a thread on it here somewhere and I believe it was in the second gen Forum...

How to: Wheels,Tires, & Lifts...
Buy Explorerforum.com Items here
Tbars4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
97 EB Mike
Ohio
97 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Many thanks, Tbars! Found a couple threads in that forum that were helpful. Am I crazy, or is that canister next to the battery on my truck? I didn't see anything under the spare, but I didn't pull the spare out either. I'm assuming its only under the spare on the ex?

97 EB Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Tbars4
Offroad/Fitness Moderator
anaheim hills,california

95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
..The 95-97 Ranger still have the charcoal canister on the drivers side in front of and below the battery..

..Second gen X's (and I forgot what year Rangers) have them located above the rear differential...So, you are not going crazy..

How to: Wheels,Tires, & Lifts...
Buy Explorerforum.com Items here
Tbars4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
97 EB Mike
Ohio
97 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)