Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2002 4.0L V6 valve cover gasket replacement and TIPS!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
thammel
Baltimore, MD
2002 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2002 4.0L V6 valve cover gasket replacement and TIPS!

I got sick and tired of the aroma of burnt oil on the exhaust manifolds....every time at a stop light the fumes would be overwhelming! So I finally bit the bullet and did this job. It's a pain! You need to remove the intake manifold to get access to the valve covers. It's a good idea to replace the manifold seals while at it. Basic tools can get the job done with a couple of exceptions. You'll need 1/4" drive small torx sockets (ok, pretty basic) to get the intake manifold screws out. You'll also need an inspection mirror to see the driver's side rear screw. The worst part was the egr tube. Here's where you'll need a 27 mm open end wrench and probably a 27 mm crowfoot wrench, 1/2" drive. I was able to get the tube nut loose at the top end (egr valve) but had real problems at the header. There appears to be a fitting screwed into the header and then the tube with nut screws into that. I could NOT break the two loose but could only turn the tube with nut attached to the fitting. The problem with this is that it didn't allow the tube to be removed, so I forced and bent the tube enough to get the valve (right side) cover off. This made it really difficult to get the tube back in, come assembly time, but I managed. I think you'll need a 25 mm open end wrench to hold the fitting while you loosen the tube nut with the 27 mm crowfoot wrench.

The good news is that the job is done and there are no more oil leaks. And it started up immediately.

I was lazy and didn't remove the negative battery cable. I also did not relieve fuel system pressure. Got just a little leak on disassembly - no biggie. So if you have any specific questions on this job, I think I can answer them now.

Tom
thammel is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
mikbor1
Sugarloaf, New York
03 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I recently did mine also--To break free the large nut for the EGR on the mainfold I actually removed the passenger side inner fenderwell and stuck a large pipe wrench thru there onto the nut--I only got a 1/4 turn at a time, but it worked!!
mikbor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
mdboulier
atlanta, ga
'02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for the write up. I have to make the same repair to my 02 explorer. Its been fun going around town smelling like burnt oil but enough's enough.

Last edited by mdboulier; 04-16-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: hahaha wrong instructions
mdboulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
vrtentis
Jacksonville, fl
2001 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

the bolt on the driverside closest to the firewall has oil pooling up and over flowing onto my headers! any idea why it would do this? just replaced gasket and bolt grommets (felpro) do I need silicone? do the longer guide bolts go on first then the cover? im out of ideas? could my valve cover be warped?
vrtentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
mikbor1
Sugarloaf, New York
03 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I believe they are plastic so maybe it cracked? Also the pvc valve is there, maybe the oil is leaking from there
mikbor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
vrtentis
Jacksonville, fl
2001 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

black hole

You were more than right about a crack, the was a hole in the back of the cover. Not sure what caused it maybe heat stress or just got old. Either way ordering a new set thanks for your reply.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
vrtentis
Jacksonville, fl
2001 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

Anyone have a good website to buy a good replacement set of valve covers? Or a part number? Ford wants $108 per cover and I figured maybe for that price i might find a better quality material from a after market company.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
mrau92me
Decatur, AL
'02 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtentis View Post
Anyone have a good website to buy a good replacement set of valve covers? Or a part number? Ford wants $108 per cover and I figured maybe for that price i might find a better quality material from a after market company.
I'd be tempted to try drilling a little bit larger hole in that spot and then install some sort of plug made to fit that size hole. If you're set on replacing that cover, try some of the on-line Ford dealerships that typically sell their parts for cheaper. They've been mentioned here in this forum several times, something like silverstate ford, Tasca Ford, genuinefordparts (something like that), etc.

A hole sounds awfully strange...like someone else mentioned, are you sure you put your pcv valve back in? BTW, if you replaced the pcv valve with a metal Standard brand valve, there's a good chance it's not the right part and will pop out of the valve cover. My local parts store sold me one insisting it would fit, and I had to take it back with my original one. They then agreed it wouldn't work.
mrau92me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Jasone352
Ocala, FL
'02 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

Unhappy

Okay so i am in the process of replacing my valve covers today, i am about 3 hours in and spent the majority of that trying to get that god-forsaken right rear intake manifold screw out. After much effort I have all 8 removed, as well as the throttle body, spark plug wires, and numerous other hoses and tubes. However, I am going to make a trip down to the tool shop and pick up those recommended wrenches in order to get the EGR tube off. Hopefully then I can start working on replacing the actual valve cover gaskets.

Now I have a few questions:

1. When replacing the intake gaskets/ valve cover gaskets, is there some kind of sealant/lubricant I must apply before reassembling? I believe I have seen mention of something of the sort on other threads but I am not positive.

2. Neither the replacement gaskets i purchased for the intake or the valve covers came with any kind of grommets that I have seen mentioned. What are these and do I have to replace these as well? I dont believe my Hayne's manual makes any mention of them.

3. When cleaning the gasket surfaces on the intake and the valve cover, brake fluid will suffice? I know to be careful as to not get any gunk inside of the engine, however I want to be sure I am properly cleaning the surface before reassembling.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, hopefully someone replies soon since i will be riding my bike to the store here shortly

Thanks for the help everybody!
Jasone352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Hitchhikingmike
Dallas, Texas
'02 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2002 is burning oil on the headers on both sides now. To make the matter worse I already replaced the valve cover gaskets 3 or 4 years ago. Even then it wasn't as bad as it is now. I just degreased the engine to watch it seep from the valve cover to make sure.

I hope my cover isn't warped or cracked. Coincidently both sides are leaking oil onto the manifolds.

Fml. The first time I did the job I took the egr pipe off of the manifold and it was tough. Hopefully it won't be any harder this time since I have previously broken it loose.

:/ GHAD!!!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Hitchhikingmike
Dallas, Texas
'02 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I'll apply a bead of silicon on the outside perimeter of the valve cover gasket this time to double seal it. Think this would be a good idea?

Suggest this thread to friends: