Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Stripped one of my upper intake manifold screws

Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
ke6luk
Savannah GA
1998 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Stripped one of my upper intake manifold screws

Hey All,

Well I was in the process of putting back together the intake manifold system on my 1998 Ex Sport with the 4.0 SOHV when the torque wrench adjuster slipped leading me to strip out one of my upper intake bolts/screws.

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

73's,

Doc
ke6luk is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
yavapaires
Dewey, Az
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6luk View Post
Hey All,

Well I was in the process of putting back together the intake manifold system on my 1998 Ex Sport with the 4.0 SOHV when the torque wrench adjuster slipped leading me to strip out one of my upper intake bolts/screws.

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

73's,

Doc
Helicoil. Or, drill and tap for a larger bolt.
yavapaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
BubbaFL
Central Florida
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wrap the screw with pipe thread tape and see if you can get some bite. If it was one on the end, use a zip-tie instead.

They just need to be snug, not really torqued down.

I think I have two that actually torque to spec, the rest are "as good as they'll get" with tape, and a couple zip ties.

The idiot who decided torx-headed wood screws that thread into plastic were a good idea for an intake manifold should be shot. Was probably the same bozo who decided to put a timing chain on the back of the motor.
BubbaFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
ke6luk
Savannah GA
1998 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The drill and tap thing would be great if these were real bolts but like BubbaFL said they're nothing but big wood screws!
Thanks for the pipe tape suggestion it should work.
73's
Doc
Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Just a thought

I think the bolts/screws in my intake manifold have what I call high/low threads that are somewhat common for fasterners that work in plastic. I wonder if adding epoxy into the stripped hole and then inserting the screw with thin oil on the threads would reform the threads in the plastic. The oil could keep the epoxy from adhering to the screw threads. It would probably be necessary to remove what the screw is attaching so the screw could be inserted all the way to the bottom of the hole. You could try the idea first on a scrap piece of plastic.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
ke6luk
Savannah GA
1998 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Plumbers/teflon tape worked well enough to snug the screw up good. I put two applications of it on the giant wood screw. It runs better but now I believe the IAC has finally died and gone to where ever sensors go.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
BubbaFL
Central Florida
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000StreetRod View Post
I wonder if adding epoxy into the stripped hole and then inserting the screw with thin oil on the threads would reform the threads in the plastic. The oil could keep the epoxy from adhering to the screw threads. It would probably be necessary to remove what the screw is attaching so the screw could be inserted all the way to the bottom of the hole.
If you're going to the trouble of pulling the lower intake to fix this, I'd JB-Weld flange nuts to the underside of the lower intake, and then replace the wood screws with long bolts and big washers.
BubbaFL is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: