• Register Today It's free!

4 Low will not engage

etdavenport

Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I have a 1998 ford Explorer that will not go into 4 low. I can get it into 4 high, and I am pretty sure the wheels are engaging also. Light comes on. but when I twist the dial to 4 Low, No low range light , no clunk, and no 4 low. [and yes im stopped, in neutral etc....]

Any Ideas? Everything else seems to be working fine. This truck has never had any 4x4 issues before. i was hoping maybe there was just a fuse or a relay that may have failed. or even hopefully just switch I can remove and test. I am pretty sure this is an electrical issue not a mechanical one. But I have no idea.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you doing this?

Shifting from 4WD AUTO or 4WD HIGH to 4WD LOW
1. Bring the vehicle to a stop.
2. Depress the brake.
3. Place the gearshift in N (Neutral)
(automatic transmission) or depress
the clutch (manual transmission).
4. Move the 4WD control to the
4WD LOW position.

....not what i am looking for....

....not what i am looking for....
Gonenuke is asking whether or not you're following the proper procedure because if you don't, the system will not engage LO range. Without knowing this, we don't know if whether the user is at fault, or the system. So why don't you answer his question so we can proceed onto the next step of diagnosis?

OP edited his original post.

Oh fantastic...

swap to a manual :)

I've got the same problem, did anybody come up with an answer???
And yes I followed the manual!

Check the shift encoder and the wiring harness / connections.

I pulled the shifter motor assembly, the transfer case went to neutral, I could move it to low or neutral but it wouldn't move to high to get the motor back on. It was in neutral, vehicle woudn't move,I switched to low on the tcase vehicle would move but I still can't get the motor assembly to move to get it back together.
Now I can't get the tcase to move from low.

You can't get the t-case to move from LO range probably because there's "weight" on the drivetrain (and therefore the gears in the t-case). So to remove this weight, put chocks a few inches in front of and behind one of the wheels. Then have some1 rock the vehicle back and forth while you try to force the t-case out of LO range. Alternatively, you can disconnect the rear driveshaft and rotate the output flange while at the same time you try to force the t-case out of LO range.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Should there not be some kind of reaction fron the shifter motor when I move the switch on the dash. I'm getting nothing.

I believe it should move, but you may have to ground it against the case.

I got the tcase shifter to move to high, put the shifter motar assembly back on but I am showing still in 4low and it feels like it is in 4wd.

If everything is back together mechanically, try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to try to force-reset the system.

Well I disconnected the battery over lunch hour, no longer in 4 low. Took it for a drive seems fine but now won't go into 4 low.

Do you need LO range? Because after going through what you just did, if I were you, LO range is not exactly a friend at this point - engage it only if you absolutely positively need it (life and death situation here). You can engage 4HI but stay out 4LO.

Thats not a problem at this point, as it won't go in 4 low at all!

I had the same problem with my 2003 ford explorer. Replaced the shift motor on the transfer case and fixed the problem.

The 4low button blinks before it engages. The number of flashes helped my mechanic figure out what the problem is. Each flash represents a task.

Aftermarket part costs around 200 dollars and 100 for labor. Done for 300 dollars. You can also find used part for very very cheap and replace it yourself. Many videos on youtube that explains how.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1998 ford Explorer that will not go into 4 low. I can get it into 4 high, and I am pretty sure the wheels are engaging also. Light comes on. but when I twist the dial to 4 Low, No low range light , no clunk, and no 4 low. [and yes im stopped, in neutral etc....]

Any Ideas? Everything else seems to be working fine. This truck has never had any 4x4 issues before. i was hoping maybe there was just a fuse or a relay that may have failed. or even hopefully just switch I can remove and test. I am pretty sure this is an electrical issue not a mechanical one. But I have no idea.

Thanks!

I dont know if you still have this vehicle, much less the problem, but in case somebody else comes across this thread, My explorer was exhibiting this problem and the problem was caused by the transfer case shift relay (located behind the radio)....I took the relay apart and noticed one of the circuits corroded completely into.....I jumped the circuit and 4 low worked perfectly....hope this is beneficial to someone.

Back