Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Clunk in drivetrain

Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
klosch80
Baker, NV
1999 Explorer 4.0L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Clunk in drivetrain

Hey all,

New to the forum here and got some issues.

My 1999 explorer 4.0L 4x4 auto has 172,000k on it. Just drove from Portland to Baker, Nevada and noticed a clunking, almost jerking thing. Its hard to describe but it doesn't feel like the motor is stalling, more like tranny or rear end? It only happens at higher speeds and above 2k RPM. It is not while shifting. It definitely seems worse while pulling hills or any time I put more load on the motor.

I have a check engine light but the code is P0174 which I hear is common on these motors and related to MAS or vacuum leaks and don't believe they are related, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Kevin
klosch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
masospaghetti
Charlotte, NC
2000 Sport, 5M OHV RWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
three common sources of a driveline "clunk" (there may be more, but these are relatively common)

1. BW4405 transfer case output shaft bore becomes elongated
2. Rear driveshaft splined slip-joint is either worn or needs lubricant
3. Worn u-joints

I would try lubricating your slip joint first since that's essentially free. I believe the "right" stuff is a special blue-green Ford grease, but I think a good Moly grease would work fine.

You can check for #1 by grabbing the rear driveshaft, right where it comes out of the transfer case, and feeling for any up-down play.

masospaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
klosch80
Baker, NV
1999 Explorer 4.0L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks, I will look at those this evening
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by masospaghetti View Post
three common sources of a driveline "clunk" (there may be more, but these are relatively common)

1. BW4405 transfer case output shaft bore becomes elongated
2. Rear driveshaft splined slip-joint is either worn or needs lubricant
3. Worn u-joints

I would try lubricating your slip joint first since that's essentially free. I believe the "right" stuff is a special blue-green Ford grease, but I think a good Moly grease would work fine.

You can check for #1 by grabbing the rear driveshaft, right where it comes out of the transfer case, and feeling for any up-down play.
1., above: I think the output shaft bore is actually the I.D. of the output shaft bearing. In any event, if the bearing is shot, or its locating pocket in the case is wallowed out (unlikely), if sufficient clearance exists to "feel" up-down movement, the seal should already be leaking, or will be, soon.

2. Think wobble at this location will cause vibration, as the driveshaft spins out of "true".

3. A possibility. But since driveshaft revolves VERY fast, "clunk" describes a low-repeat-speed noise, like from something turning much slower, or not turning at all

Easily checked, visual or by wrench: Broken or loose rear transmission mount. Broken or loosened rear axle center-section mounting.

Just a few additional thoughts. imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
klosch80
Baker, NV
1999 Explorer 4.0L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ok so last night I crawled underneath to check things out. No play in the rear drive shaft at the transfer case. U joints all look good. I noticed when trying to check for play in the rear driveshaft that I could move the transfer case and transmission, so now I'm thinking about the transmission mount idea.

This truck was laid on its side in the snow this winter. My girlfriend on icy roads :/ I replaced passenger window, checked all fluids, took her for a test drive and everything seemed ok, but now a broken mount could definitely be a possibilty. Not sure I know what is meant by the center mount on the rear axle, but I will look around in that area to see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosch80 View Post
Ok so last night I crawled underneath to check things out. No play in the rear drive shaft at the transfer case. U joints all look good. I noticed when trying to check for play in the rear driveshaft that I could move the transfer case and transmission, so now I'm thinking about the transmission mount idea.

This truck was laid on its side in the snow this winter. My girlfriend on icy roads :/ I replaced passenger window, checked all fluids, took her for a test drive and everything seemed ok, but now a broken mount could definitely be a possibilty. Not sure I know what is meant by the center mount on the rear axle, but I will look around in that area to see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestions.
My error on the center mount: 2nd. gens have solid rear axle, not center frame-mounted differential, my apologies. Broken transmission mount almost always involves failure of the rubber-to-metal bond of the parts, and may not be "seeable" until the engine/transmission assembly is raised slightly to allow removal and inspection of the mount itself. imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: